PDA

View Full Version : First two scans with v. 1.130

cnsranch
07-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Actually, these are my first two scans, period. Bought the probe when I got the CW, just haven't had a chance to use it.

Here's the interesting part: I scanned the "clamp" first - it's plastic, so I wasn't concerned with scratching it with the probe (read a lot of threads about the probe doing that). But I was concerned about scratching my "snakecharmer", so I used a glue tip on the probe.

Frankly, it looks like to me that the quality of the scan with the glue tip is better than the one without. Maybe it's "softer" due to the plastic tip, but I think it looks better.

The attached ptns are "raw", no work at all done with them in the editor.

I did screw up my positioning on the snakecharmer - my fault that the scan stopped about 1/2 inch short.

What do you think?

fwharris
07-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Nice looking scans. The snakecharmer is very clean looking. I too need to get my probe going..

Thanks for sharing..

ChrisAlb
07-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Very Nice CNS! Thanks!

I don't own any guns and I've been wanting some gun patterns for a possible upcoming project. The Snake-charmer will come in handy!

Now those clamps?....LOL...I've got LOTS of them but I never thought of scanning any. Came out great!

I may have to reconsider using a tip on the probe. I've seen those many threads as well but I always figured it would reduce picking up fine details and sharp, square vertical edges. Sure looks like it got them all on the gun.

jackssib1
07-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Keep it up, I love to scan. lol
Thanks
Jack

Rocky
07-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Actually, these are my first two scans, period. Bought the probe when I got the CW, just haven't had a chance to use it.

Here's the interesting part: I scanned the "clamp" first - it's plastic, so I wasn't concerned with scratching it with the probe (read a lot of threads about the probe doing that). But I was concerned about scratching my "snakecharmer", so I used a glue tip on the probe.

Frankly, it looks like to me that the quality of the scan with the glue tip is better than the one without. Maybe it's "softer" due to the plastic tip, but I think it looks better.

The attached ptns are "raw", no work at all done with them in the editor.

I did screw up my positioning on the snakecharmer - my fault that the scan stopped about 1/2 inch short.

What do you think?

I just ordered a CW with the scanning probe. I'm curious about the idea of adding a "glue tip". What is actually added, and how is it done?

Thanks,

Kenm810
07-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi Rocky,

There's been a few post about Hobby Shop or Craft Store Glue Tips that just slip on,
and stay there through the scanning process with out the worry of scratching the item being scanned .
For me there was very little difference in the scan quality, and in my case the glue tip gave me all the detail plus a smoother surface.
I picked mine up at a craft store called Hobby Lobby
Softer Scanning probe possibility (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4565&highlight=Glue+tips)
List of problems with software and machine (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7672&highlight=glue+tip)

rcdages
07-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Both look good,really impressed.

I have had my CW and probe for a year now and I have yet to do a probe.

I am now anxious to get to the point of trying the prob, so much to due and so little time, if one had the time one could work around the clock with the CW it is such a dream come ture for all that have wanted to carve. Believe me for the years I carved by hand and High Speed Carving it is so much fast and the detail lacks nothing---------

I don"t post alot, but I read the post almost every day so much good suff for all of you fellow CW & CC carvers.

Carve on and proben often............................
rcdages