PDA

View Full Version : cut paths is corian

supershingler
07-14-2008, 06:13 PM
is it possible to do a cut path in corian with the cw

or would it be better to carve a patter out of pine and use a guide and a hand held router.

any imput will be appreciated

thanks

kendall

Amonaug
07-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Manual says not to carve into corian more than 1/8" so I'd say a cut path is out.

TurkeyBranch
07-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I have carved a corian piece then cut around it and inside on a few spots using my scroll saw.

Ed

eromran
07-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Manual says not to carve into corian more than 1/8" so I'd say a cut path is out.With the previous version i cut half inch corian all the time by leaving a feather on the outside edge then when you went to do the cutout it was not cutting through the whole 1/2 inch just a little of what was left and gives a clean edge.

Digitalwoodshop
07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Now that is an idea.... Still wish we had the 1.126 back as an option.

Thanks,

AL

fwharris
07-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Is there a way to do multiple cut paths on the same line with each set at a different depth?

Amonaug
07-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Is there a way to do multiple cut paths on the same line with each set at a different depth?

You could create a path for each depth you want to cut then apply the bit and set the depth but you won't get any tabs.

mtylerfl
07-15-2008, 12:45 PM
With the previous version i cut half inch corian all the time by leaving a feather on the outside edge then when you went to do the cutout it was not cutting through the whole 1/2 inch just a little of what was left and gives a clean edge.

On versions prior to 1.130, leaving a feather around an object before cutting out never made sense to me...that's because the cut path was done in several partial depth increments, so a feather wouldn't make any difference one way or another...the bit was just taking a small bite of material with each pass anyway. See what I mean?

NOW however, with the single pass full-depth cut path (as introduced with version 1.130) a feather around an object might make some sense to reduce the material thickness for the cutting bit to pass through.

For what it's worth, it always puzzled me why it was not recommended to do cut paths on Corian, since the bit used to take those small bites via incremenetal passes (prior to 1.130). That feature kept within the 1/8" maximum carve/cut depth recommendation for Corian, so I couldn't understand why a cut path on Corian wasn't considered "safe".

supershingler
07-15-2008, 02:47 PM
thanks for everyones input.

what i ended up doing was making a patter out of 3/4" hd partical board wilth the cw. and used a cutter with a pilot bearing to cut the corian.
next step was to cut a 4 x 4 cut out inside the oval which i did the say way
but i took most of the leftover material with a sabre sabre say and the used the pilot bit again. i then took the piece of particle board that i cut the oval pattern out of and attached it to a pc of 1/2" pb to create a sled to carve the corian oval on

then i took a rabbet bit and cut out a recess in the back of the corian to hold a picture of my grandson.

first time working with corian

i will post when i get it finished.

i wish somebody would of told me i wouldnt get much sleep after i bought this machine. i lay in bed thinking up more projects.

the wife say i used to drink to much
alcholic

then i worked to much
workaholic

now i carve to much

guess im a CARVAHOLIC

THANKS AGAIN THIS FORUM HELP EVERYONE

KENDALL

eromran
07-15-2008, 05:28 PM
On versions prior to 1.130, leaving a feather around an object before cutting out never made sense to me...that's because the cut path was done in several partial depth increments, so a feather wouldn't make any difference one way or another...the bit was just taking a small bite of material with each pass anyway. See what I mean?

NOW however, with the single pass full-depth cut path (as introduced with version 1.130) a feather around an object might make some sense to reduce the material thickness for the cutting bit to pass through.

For what it's worth, it always puzzled me why it was not recommended to do cut paths on Corian, since the bit used to take those small bites via incremental passes (prior to 1.130). That feature kept within the 1/8" maximum carve/cut depth recommendation for Corian, so I couldn't understand why a cut path on Corian wasn't considered "safe".
In my mind it made a lot of sense i was not using the cut path to really cut out the piece as much as cleaning up the edge because when i would use the cut path it seemed like it was straining a lot more and it was just as easy to use the carve bit to get to the lower level. But now it makes even more sense. (to me)