PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Fire Department

jspringertx
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Our local fire department has a logo that I have been trying to create an mpc to carve an image for them.

I am attaching an image and seeking the advice of anyone that can figure out how to create a pattern of this image.

Any ideas. I have converted this from a color copy of the logo.

cnsranch
07-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Here's a start...

jspringertx
07-14-2008, 05:51 PM
That looks likeit might work just fine. I will try it out tomorrow.

bjbethke
07-15-2008, 03:32 AM
Hope this works PTN and MPC

jspringertx
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks to everyone. I will try your ideas today and post a photo.

jspringertx
07-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I gave up trying to carve the helmet on the graphic so I carved the clock, gloves, and hatchet with the unit.

I then printed the helmet and shield on photo quality paper, cut it out, and pasted it where the helmet would be. I now have a very colorful clock to give the the PVFD.

Thanks for your help!

LollyWood
07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm now pattern guru. Use pretty basic progees. Take a look see if these are anything you can use.

jspringertx
07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
It looks like you have really cleaned up the graphic. I saved it for future projects...thanks!

ChrisAlb
07-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I only get a minute here and there to do these but it's in the works. Still needs a lot but what do you think so far?

jspringertx
07-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I only get a minute here and there to do these but it's in the works. Still needs a lot but what do you think so far?

I think the first one looks the best. I like the clean lines.

Digitalwoodshop
07-20-2008, 09:27 PM
I guess I will put this here..... Talking with Chris in person today I came to to conclusion that his new name should be..... "Carve Master Chris"..... Can he change his posting name?

OK.... Learned something from Chris that I though I would pass on.... I asked Chris to do a version of the Maltese Cross with the flat name areas flush with the top of the board for us .ptn challenged guys like me... That would let me use Centerline Text to make the names quick without messing with the single stroke font in outline mode I am using now.

He said "Sure".... But your going about it the wrong way.... Rather than V Carve it why not make it Raised Text and Raster it...... What a novel concept and then I thought.... Is that what the designer of this particular .ptn were thinking the whole time.... It should have been an Outty not an Inny......

Carve Master Chris take a BOW.... Next Lesson tomorrow.... A innovative Sled Idea.... Chris's of course.... under "Lesson's of the day"....

Thanks,

AL

This just made my product SO MUCH MORE BETTER...... I just set the text heigth the same as the .ptn depth... I think it will work.

ChrisAlb
07-20-2008, 09:50 PM
I think the first one looks the best. I like the clean lines.

It's the same pattern. The second picture is just tipped a little more to show the 3D height.

ChrisAlb
07-20-2008, 09:52 PM
That's a dam nice looking cross Al. WOW!...http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Virginia Beach Carver
07-20-2008, 11:25 PM
As a retired firefighter I love the FD related patterns, thanks for sharing them.

jspringertx
07-21-2008, 07:25 AM
It's the same pattern. The second picture is just tipped a little more to show the 3D height.

Thanks for the information. I am going to give it a try.

ChrisAlb
07-21-2008, 07:29 AM
It's no where near finished yet. Might be ale to get back to it tonight. I'll post the pattern when I'm done....so little time.....lol

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Another masterpiece in progress thanks to TIPS from out "Carve Master Chris" "CMC"

Thanks Buddy !!!

AL

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=Digitalwoodshop;59401]

Carve Master Chris take a BOW.... Next Lesson tomorrow.... A innovative Sled Idea.... Chris's of course.... under "Lesson's of the day"....

QUOTE]

Talking to CMC (Carve Master Chris) yesterday he mentioned that his sled for a project was a wrap around sled.... I just didn't get the concept at first thinking "Old School" but he has made sleds with solid end boards and 2 rails down the side that has NO bottom and the board fits between the rails. He just tapes the board to the center of the length of the sled and with NO bottom and a Cut Path is EASY..... He uses Center of board in length and width..... So with the "Center of Width" he uses the actual board width NOT the Sled width and since the rails are of EQUAL thickness the centering takes care of the sled.... I am SO STEALING this idea.... I will poke around and sniff out other innovative ideas from CMC.....

This concept could have been posted before but Honestly if I was not paying attention I missed it.... NO Bottom..... No Carrier Board.... This opens up a quick solution to all the 4 inch long blocks I am saving for signs.....

CMC.... Take another BOW.....

Humble AL

Kenm810
07-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Been using it for quite a while, Works Great! ... last posted in Aprils Tips & Tricks

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks Ken, I was not paying attention.... Detention for me....

High Tech Accountability tags.... Good Deal... We have Bar Code ID Cards on the way soon but the trucks will still use the plastic tags. Most are still using Cow Tags in this area.

Cut the Clock and I LIKE IT..... If they go for it a Clock as a Participation plaque.... I am game. I did not cut the divots in the A and E's as I will do it after I paint the letters. Might work better in OAK....

AL