PDA

View Full Version : 1st Post - and a Question

bigdoge99
07-12-2008, 09:15 PM
I've had my machine since Nov 07 but have just finished my wood shop and have only done basic projects to date. However, I took a job making a sign for a Hunting Club and have my pieces carved and ready to assemble. I used Cypress and 2nd Generation Heart of Pine. The Cypress especially is light and doesn't "stand out" the way I want it to. I have browsed the forums since I purchased my machine and only registered because I didn't see this subject posted before. (Thanks for all the tips).

Has anyone used wood-burning to enhance the effects of their carvings before? I really don't want to use paint, and would like to keep stain to a minimum. The finished product will be sprayed with several coats of polyurethane.

Any advice or lessons learned utilizing wood-burning, paint, or stains would be very helpful... Also if anyone has used a Dremel or other rotary tool for final touch-ups. Thanks

supershingler
07-12-2008, 09:43 PM
IM NEW TOO

CANT ANSWER THE WOODBURNING QUESTION

BUT I DO USE A DREMEL TO CLEAN UP MY PROJECTS

MAYBE IF YOU GO TO WWW.WOOD.COM AND DO A SEARCH YOU MIGHT GET
SOME TIPS ON FINISHING. SEEM A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO I SEEN AN
ARTICLE ABOUT USING SHELLAC AND HOW TO MAKE IT DIFFERENT SHADES

GOOD LUCK

KENDALL

bigdoge99
07-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks Super... Tried your link but it took me to a finance company :) I hadn't thought of dyes or different tinted shellac. Add those to the list.

supershingler
07-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Try www.woodmagazine.com

This Is A Great Magazine For Us Wood And Sawdust Nuts

If It Wasnt For This Magazine I Wouldnt Have Looked Twice
At The Carvewright

Good Luck

Kendall

ChrisAlb
07-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks Super... Tried your link but it took me to a finance company :) I hadn't thought of dyes or different tinted shellac. Add those to the list.

Do a "search" in here on "finishing" and you'll find boat loads of information.

badger
07-13-2008, 12:50 AM
I have burned one project and minor on the effects at that but turned out nice. I also use a dremel tool to clean up some of the projects. You will find alot of post on dremel if you do a search on them. I know a few others that have also burned projects for an effect and some well...that did but didnt plan too.

jackssib1
07-13-2008, 09:05 AM
I use torch and lightly burn to give the wood a old look.
it will bring out the grain.
Jack

mtylerfl
07-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Has anyone used wood-burning to enhance the effects of their carvings before?

Hello and Welcome.

Yes, lots of folks use wood-burning to enhance their projects. A few pics are posted "somewhere" on the forum. Some haved used a propane torch (carefully) for an "overall" effect.

When I made my Trout Project I used an inexpensive woodburner from a crafts store to enhance details on the trout. (see photos)

bigdoge99
07-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Jack... That looks great, I hadn't thought of using a torch. I love the way it enhances the grain.

Michael T, I'm doing mine simular to yours, just not in as much detail.

I wonder what using a wood-burner for the outline (enhancing the relief depth), and then using the torch lightly for a overall appearance (enhancing the wood's grain) would look like? That may be exactly what I was looking for.

:)

mtylerfl
07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
I wonder what using a wood-burner for the outline (enhancing the relief depth), and then using the torch lightly for a overall appearance (enhancing the wood's grain) would look like? That may be exactly what I was looking for.

:)

I think that would look great, too! Please post a photo in the Gallery Section when you get it done -we love pictures!

bigdoge99
07-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Here is my sign finished and in glue up. Thanks again Jack & Michael T, as you can see you advice was heeded... By the way, the clamp table is from Home Depot, made by workforce and I believe it cost me 29.99. Right now it will only hold a max 14" piece width-wise. I plan on making a few adjustments where it will clamp at least twic that width. Also the smaller bench dogs at the top were purchased from Rockler, the lower dogs along with two bigger dogs (not pictured) came with the clamp table. It is made by Workforce, and while I don't normally purchase that brand, this is a neat little table that comes in very handy. I still have to frame the sign and put the final coats of polyurethane on...

The deer bust was carved as a relief carving, then I trimmed the edges off and put that piece level with the top of the two sides. That way the deer bust stands proud of the entire sign. Just adds another level/dimension that catches the eye.

mtylerfl
07-27-2008, 10:15 PM
The deer bust was carved as a relief carving, then I trimmed the edges off and put that piece level with the top of the two sides. That way the deer bust stands proud of the entire sign. Just adds another level/dimension that catches the eye.

That looks really, really GREAT! Fantastic job.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
07-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Keep it up! It appears that your on your way..........

supershingler
07-27-2008, 10:58 PM
the sign look fantastic

one question

where did you get your deer pattern

i have to put one in corian for a customer and cant seem to find the one i like till now lol

keep up the good work

kendall

bigdoge99
07-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Here is the jpeg I used. I either got it here or from google, not sure.

bigdoge99
07-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Ooops, wrong one...

Ken Massingale
07-28-2008, 05:18 AM
That really came out nice.

How did you attach the side boards to the center? I ask because I'm concerned about the wood movement that is going to happen. You have end grain of the side boards attached to the edge long-grain of the center board. When the side boards 'move' I fear that something bad is going to happen. End grain has terrible gluing properties.
What you have is a kind of 'breadboard end', (in this case the breadboard end is in the middle) and used on furniture a lot. But, in those cases the long grain is never rigidly connected to the end grain, a little glue in the middle with screws and elongated holes to allow for movement.

This is not a criticism, please don't take it as such. I'd just hate to see that nice work come apart.

k

bigdoge99
07-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the words of concern Ken... I used biscuits and Titebond III to attach the 3 pieces together, but will be enclosing the entire sign in a frame and was planning to allow for movement in the frame. Any words of advice or lessons learned would be appreciated...

badger
07-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Kreg Jig would have worked well splicing those 3 pieces together also for a tight fit.