PDA

View Full Version : newbie need help

supershingler
07-11-2008, 01:26 PM
ive had my machine for only a week

did a couple of test carves and was asked to make a banner hanger for my church.

i started it is designer and realized im not experienced enough to figure out how to lay this out completely

i want to get carvings to stand out and need a cutpath on the outside to make this work cant seem to figure out this process

i will try to download the file if i can figure that out

i would like to mirror this cut left and right and glue both together

thanks in advance

kendall

13Z5M
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm still VERY new to this, too. Is this something like what you had in mind? Maybe it is something you can change to get where you want to be.

Steve

supershingler
07-11-2008, 02:22 PM
you have the outside cut but i was hoping to follow the carvings to create hooks for the hangers
go around the inside of the carvings to the top right and then down to the bottom of the next one

cnsranch
07-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't think the attached will work, but I think it's closer to what you're looking for?

DocWheeler
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Kendall,

What cnsranch proposed is the easiest design method and will work very well.
The down-side is that the sides of the hooks will be tapered like the carving bit.

Using the cut-path method will produce straight sides, but would be a bear to create. You would use the Spline tool to create the desired cut-path. You might like to experiment some with it before deciding what to do. A hint: make sure that where you are drawing is in the center of the screen (move the material), especially if you have it grossly enlarged as the depth aspect will displace the view of the hooks.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

supershingler
07-11-2008, 03:35 PM
maybe i should just carve the basics and then hit the bandsaw
it might be a lot easier

is there an easy way to space the carvings evenily and follow the bottom angle

cnsranch
07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I think I got it - I'd better, couldn't figure it out.

Had to create a rectangle in a pattern form. Added your filagrees, then a carve region.

I think that's it - you can continue to add more fils just by copying and pasting. You'll have to delete the carve region, and re-outline the patterns, but I think you get the idea.

Regards.

Amonaug
07-11-2008, 04:47 PM
In order to get what you want you'd probably follow the tips in issue 6

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

The image pattern for the background board would be fairly easy unless you want to add fancy stuff to it, it'd just be a solid grey field in the shape you need. Export it out of your image program as a .png on a transparent background and import it into the designer patterns. Then add the "C" filagrees, select all and outline.

supershingler
07-11-2008, 06:35 PM
being a newbie i m probably expectiong my carver to do to much
i laid it out on without any cutpath and will finish it on the bandsaw.

thanks for all the help from everyone

i hope before i die i get this all figured out lol

and just remember

NO CHIPS IN THE CARVER MEAN NO GREEN IN THE WALLET

THANK AGAIN ALL

THIS FORUM IS GREAT

I WILL TRY TO TAKE A PICTURE AND POST THE FINISHED PRODUCT

THANKS AGAIN

supershingler
07-12-2008, 08:23 PM
I Was Wonder If Someone Could Look At My Layout On This To See If You Think Front And Back Carve Are Lined Up

Im Planning To Cut About Half Way Up The C Style Filagree To Create A Hook To Hand The Banners On

I Tried One Earlier But Just Made Some Firewood I Guess

All Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated

Dan-Woodman
07-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Do a cutpath on the front and it will help you line up the carve on the back.
later Daniel

supershingler
07-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks Dan

The Light Came On And That What I Was Doing

Thanks For The Help

Wished I Would Of Figured That Out Before The First One And I
Wouldnt Have Some Much Firewood Lol

Thanks Again

Kendall

DocWheeler
07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
supershingler,

From my check, they do not line up.
Some hints that I have taken seriously are to use the "attach" option when right-clicking an option to place it where you want it. Another tip is the use of the grids.
When all objects are "Attached to the CENTER lines, you can change the length and/or width of the board so that the end cuts through an object and rotate it to see what the end of the board looks like.