PDA

View Full Version : Bit selection with pictures

CraigR
07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
OK, I'm still getting the hang of all this but I can't find a way to do this. I have some simple pictures of lets say a dog or pig just a black outline and I want to use a 90 degree or a 60 maybe instead of the small carving bits. The bit selection will not let me change it so how can I do this? Am I missing something or do I need to import the picture a special way?

Ron Baird
07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Put the pattern on the board, right click it and choose outline pattern then sellect bit.

Amonaug
07-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Pictures imported into designer are by default raster, thus they will carve with teh 1/16" bit. If you just want outlines you need to create the picture with paths. If all you want is a silohuette(?) then you can select your pattern and use "Outline Pattern" to create a path around the pattern (assuming you create the pattern without a background) and then delete the pattern and apply the bit you want to the path.

You might want to check the Tips & Tricks
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

pkunk
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
OK, I'm still getting the hang of all this but I can't find a way to do this. I have some simple pictures of lets say a dog or pig just a black outline and I want to use a 90 degree or a 60 maybe instead of the small carving bits. The bit selection will not let me change it so how can I do this? Am I missing something or do I need to import the picture a special way?
Raster carving uses only the 1/16" ballnose bit. You cannot change it. Vector carving you can select the bit. Do a search (Above)for these confusing terms and there's more info than you can read in a day.:)

LollyWood
07-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Craig,

I'm no expert at drawing designs, but what I have learned is that if you import a pic, you won't have the option of bit selection. It will carve it w/ the carving bit.

What I've learned (and it's good you chose a "stick / outline" figure) is you have to recreate it w/ the drawing tools. Then you can select Bit and depth all you like. The example below is how I was taught.

The pic on the R was imported as a PNG. I enlarged the board, then using the drawing tools, I traced the image. (**note here** do a section at a time w/ connect line tool as much as poss) As I trace the sections I move them over to clear wood and add the bit/depth. When your done you have the pic on the L. All .250 d @ v60 bit. It takes a lil practice, but it's not really that hard. You'll be a Pro sooner then you think. The Gurus around here are expert at this most basic of tasks but they have all been there and are more then willing to help. This is just one way to get where you want to go, I'm sure there are plenty more. see I told ya ;)

Hope this is helpful.

CraigR
07-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Raster carving uses only the 1/16" ballnose bit. You cannot change it. Vector carving you can select the bit. Do a search (Above)for these confusing terms and there's more info than you can read in a day.:)
Well outlining didn't work right for me. I have a bunch of images I use in vector (.eps) format and the software won't allow the import of them so I changed it to a .BMP then imported it and I have no clue how to cut it as a "vector image" here is a file I am messing with so maybe someone could explain.

bjbethke
07-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Is this the way you wanted it?

CraigR
07-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Is this the way you wanted it?

Yes, that looks like what I want to do. How is it done?

CraigR
07-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Or say an image like this one.

bjbethke
07-11-2008, 02:38 AM
You need to get the file in a PNG format to get a good PTN in the CW Designer

With this image (22) I downloaded your JPEG file as a Bitmap image.

Opened it with Adobe Illustrator (CS2) changed it to a vector / with the Live Trace function.

Exported the file as a PNG @300ppi/ with a transparent background.

Used the Magic Eraser Tool in Photoshop CS2 to remove the complete background.

Note: this can be done in the CW Designer, but it is a little more work, with the CS2 Magic Eraser it is just a few clicks of the keyboard.

Then I made a PTN in the CW Designer, Selected Outline Pattern(s) tool, Note; use the outlines you want to carve and delete the rest, some outlines over lap – takes longer to carve if you do not delete them.

Then select the bit you want to use.

CraigR
07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Wow, sounds like a real pain and more programs to buy.

Amonaug
07-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Before buying more programs you might want to look to see if there are free alternatives out on the net. For example GIMP and paint.net are 2 free image editing programs that are almost as good as Photoshop.

bjbethke
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Which program did you use to change your Vector (.eps) file into a .bmp file? Bitmap files add a background to your image. The only two image files that do not add backgrounds are GIF and PNG, will your program that you used, download to a GIF or PNG? You need to keep your images in a drawing format to get an outline pattern in the CW Designer. I can change them for you, PM me and send me your E-mail address.

CraigR
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I use Irfanview and I can change them to prety much any format. So basiclly change them to a gif or png with no background and then inport them then outline them?

bjbethke
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
That should work.

snood56
07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I use a mac but I am sure you can do this on a pc. You have to create a font from it, install the font on your machine then carve it with centerline text. With this method the figure below carved in 14 minutes. I will mess with your image and make you a font. Not sure if your system can use it but lets try.
Karl, aka: "SNOOD"

snood56
07-11-2008, 11:39 PM
If you send me a message I will send them to your email as the forum won't let me post font files.

snood56
07-12-2008, 12:42 AM
I think Centerline does an extraordinary job preserving the line weights in line art. It saves tons of time creating the image as well. Check out the perfect line weights in this gator. I would be hard pressed to produce this with vectors.

ChrisAlb
07-12-2008, 06:38 AM
I use a mac but I am sure you can do this on a pc. You have to create a font from it, install the font on your machine then carve it with centerline text. With this method the figure below carved in 14 minutes. I will mess with your image and make you a font. Not sure if your system can use it but lets try.

Hi Karl, and with 13 posts I'll say Welcome too!

That Gator is FANTASTIC! Nice job & great finish! Even better is utilizing Centerline to do it! How about teaching an old dog a new trick and clue me in as to how you take a "graphic" I assume, and make it FONT!! COOL!!!

You must be creating a "true-Type" font for this? What app(s) are you using to do this with.

Thanks!

Chris

bjbethke
07-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Fonts work great with Centerline, but you will still need to make the font.

I think Photoshop and Illustrator are faster and better for me. You can make the PTN for the carving bit and also for Centerline type bits.

I used the image posted on this post to make these PTN’s; a line drawing would work better. You can also make the line drawing with Illustrator.

I have lots of Ding Bat’s on my computer and use them a lot.

sewpeck
07-12-2008, 09:28 AM
How can I change a graphic into a font???????????????????

snood56
07-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Chris and All,
I haven't felt qualified to answer posts until now. I am still educating myself after 10 months with my machine so bear with me. I am on a mac powerbook running OSX 10.411 and to make fonts I use Sigmaker by a company named FontLab. ($30.00) once installed as a font cenerline takes over the job of line widths. It is extremely efficient. Five minutes with any clean linework and you are off and running. I still use Pshop and ILL to do my art.
Hope this helps, I really like it.

CraigR
07-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Just bought Fontlab for PC and looks a bit over my head but I will give it a try and let you know.

ChrisAlb
07-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi Chris and All,
I haven't felt qualified to answer posts until now. I am still educating myself after 10 months with my machine so bear with me. I am on a mac powerbook running OSX 10.411 and to make fonts I use Sigmaker by a company named FontLab. ($30.00) once installed as a font cenerline takes over the job of line widths. It is extremely efficient. Five minutes with any clean linework and you are off and running. I still use Pshop and ILL to do my art.
Hope this helps, I really like it.

Karl,

Thanks so much for the info!! Don't ever feel that way buddy...lol Everyone has something to contribute in here and you just did in SPADES for me... http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif....Thanks!

Even questions add knowledge and value to this form. I can't begin to describe how much "I've" learned in the pursuit of answering a question to help someone. Win Win!

Thanks again Karl and I can't wait to try it out. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Chris

Amonaug
07-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Just a note before going out and spending money on programs, first do a search for free programs that can do the same thing. There are free font creators out there.

MikeMcCoy
07-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Maybe I'm overly paranoid but browsing the site, I'm a little leary of downloading from Russia... Any other experience with the Sigmaker software?

snood56
07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
I only use it for the function discussed in the earlier post. It has worked flawlessly. Excellent graphic reproduction of my imported art. I use it on a mac. I have been doing graphics for 15 years now and have seen the professional version in use on corporate gigs. I didn't get any russian mac bugs from it.