PDA

View Full Version : carving hardwoods?

ASHGRIMM
07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I am woundering if this machine will handle the extreme hardness of exotic woods like ebony, cocobolo, and african blackwood?
any insight welcome
thanks

David Myers
07-10-2008, 12:06 PM
I carve Corian all the time, I would think it will carve just about any hardwood?
Just don't try to carve to deep to fast.

Software ver. 1.130 carves to deep and puts a lot of pressure on the bit, QC, and flex shaft when you are routing edeges and cut outs.

David

Router-Jim
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't think the machine will have any problems carving the species that you listed.

castingman
07-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I carve hard maple all the time , ebony is hard but cuts easy if you can afford a piece big enought to carve.

Michael

ChrisAlb
07-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I am woundering if this machine will handle the extreme hardness of exotic woods like ebony, cocobolo, and african blackwood?
any insight welcome
thanks

My experience? The harder the wood, the better the carve. Just avoid woods that contain elements "not wood"..lol. Like Teak which contains a lot of sand. A real bit killer.

MikeMcCoy
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Some of my cleanest and most detailed carves were in Rosewood - not as dense as those you mentioned, but it's close.

castingman
07-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I hve some " cebil " or patogonian rose wood that is heavy and hard but also it seems " wet " , as well that i'm a little afraid to try.

Michael

snood56
07-11-2008, 11:12 PM
I bought a piece of Jortuba wood from a local exotic lumber joint. It is dark, very hard, has a wonderful grain and carved like glass. I think it was pretty expensive but I can't remember how much. I will try to find a picture and how much I paid and append this post so you can see.
Karl, aka "SNOOD"

rhodgson@charter.net
07-13-2008, 07:20 AM
I have had good luck with carving Purpleheart and other hardwoods. But what I have found is that it works alot better if you make sure that the grain is straight and not wavy. Rick