PDA

View Full Version : This do anything for anybody??

cnsranch
07-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Honest input appreciated.

Thx

ChrisAlb
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Other than maybe making the patterns a little deeper, I think it's a dam nice clock!!

Love to see pictures of it once carved.

cnsranch
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Thx, Chris

I'm having trouble visualizing how the depth would look finished - it defaulted at about .61, I brought the patterns up a lot.

Does making it deeper give it a better detail?

Router-Jim
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Honest input appreciated.

Thx

I like your clock. :cool: I don't really care for the mirrored effect of the flags however. Just not natural to have the flags blowing in two different directions.

Jim

ChrisAlb
07-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Thx, Chris

I'm having trouble visualizing how the depth would look finished - it defaulted at about .61, I brought the patterns up a lot.

Does making it deeper give it a better detail?

Yes. Patterns that are "set" when designed to deeper carves will loose some upper details when brought out of the wood. In "general" (depends on how it's designed) if you bring a pattern up more than half it's default depth, it begins to loose the highest details first. In some cases you can compensate a "little" for that by increasing the "height" of the pattern to like 200 or 300.

For the most part, a depth setting of .275" to .375" is a good balance for carves that default around .500".

If you tilt the board over and look as you adjust the heights you can get a better feel for how it will carve.

The picture shows the change in details. Look closely at the body, eye, wings and tail and you'll see.

cnsranch
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
After Chris' and Jim's suggestions, and my being unable to mess with it some more, (a little good luck in the center of the clock) what do you think?

ChrisAlb
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
After Chris' and Jim's suggestions, and my being unable to mess with it some more, (a little good luck in the center of the clock) what do you think?

There ya Go! Looking good...

Router-Jim
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Personally I like that one much better. :cool:

FINGERS
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I agree with Router Jim the flags don't look rite.