PDA

View Full Version : This is you Bit. This is your Bit on 1-130....

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
EDIT: See Post 5.... ROOKIE MISTAKE..... It was just blackened pine pitch.... Cleaned off real easy.... Bit is GOOD... ROOKIE....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 12 Cut Path's with 1-130 this is what the Bit looks like. 3/4 inch #2 Pine. Not Good.

This is your Brain. This is your Brain on Drugs flashback..... Fried.... I will use it until it breaks or stalls the X or Y Axis then order another 1 bit at $30.00.... 130..... Not good...

Too HOT, TOO FAST.

One Feed Rate does not fit all.

AL

ChrisAlb
07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey Buddy,

Probably silly here but, did you try taking a brass wire brush to that bit? I've carved a lot of pine (prior to 1.130) and I frequently get a black bit back. It's always been carbon from burning wood on mine. brush it off and good to go. Still sharp, original bit.

jackssib1
07-08-2008, 03:08 PM
will gum up and get hot and holds heat.
but thats just what i have seen. hummm
jack

Dan-Woodman
07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Thats not good when a carbide bit turns dark.
later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2008, 07:19 PM
As Saturday Night Live - Roseanne Rosannadanna would say at a time like this.....

NEVERMIND.......

Chris was right it was just blackened pitch on the bit... Easily cleaned with a brass brush and some carb cleaner..... Nevermind......

Chris - Over 30 years in Woodworking

AL - Over 30 years in Electronics

Weekender..... ROOKIE....

Thanks Chris and thanks for the help with my problem ptn too....

Your the best...

AL

ChrisAlb
07-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Al,
I guess it just comes with my "slight" over exuberance in keeping my tools clean. The first time I pulled a dark bit out, my immediate thought was hey, that darn bits dirty, not hey, that dam bits burnt...lol

It's a disease foks.....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Gunny
07-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Al

Your bit may need just a good cleaning, " BUT I WOULDN"T BUT IT BACK IN THE MACHINE TILL TAKING A CLOSER LOOK AT THOSE """DENTS"" IN THE COLLAR" Thats not good.

Gunny

TerryT
07-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Just my thoughts and humble opinion.
On one hand, it's good that the blackening is carbon and not heat damage to the bit (yet). On the other hand, if the wood (or anything) is burning there is still a problem. One that could lead to something more serious.

As for the BB marks... an indication that the bit is not properly seated and locked into the chuck. Chris is right in that the bit must be placed in the holder correctly, but wear on the bit holder or the chuck and/or wood chips and sawdust in the chuck are probably more likely. Again, just my opinion, but, once you see the BB marks it's time to replace the adapter because it's just a matter of time before the chuck fails. I clean my QC everytime I install a bit to make sure it seats properly.

Could the misalignment of the bit (due to the BB marks) be the cause of the heat that produced the carbon? Or (this is still in the back of my mind) too high a feed rate?

ChrisAlb
07-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Just my thoughts and humble opinion.
On one hand, it's good that the blackening is carbon and not heat damage to the bit (yet). On the other hand, if the wood (or anything) is burning there is still a problem. One that could lead to something more serious.

As for the BB marks... an indication that the bit is not properly seated and locked into the chuck. Chris is right in that the bit must be placed in the holder correctly, but wear on the bit holder or the chuck and/or wood chips and sawdust in the chuck are probably more likely. Again, just my opinion, but, once you see the BB marks it's time to replace the adapter because it's just a matter of time before the chuck fails. I clean my QC everytime I install a bit to make sure it seats properly.

Could the misalignment of the bit (due to the BB marks) be the cause of the heat that produced the carbon? Or (this is still in the back of my mind) too high a feed rate?

Terry,

I should have had that second cup of coffee first.... http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif....We can pretty much scratch my "long winded theroy" below...LOL. I just started a carve and took a look at my bits...lol they're all over the place with regards to adapter top and bit end...lol. Heck the 3/8" jointing bit sticks out almost 5/8".

I'll (quite sheepishly http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif ) take that post down. That's what you get when you work till 3:00am and get up at 4:30...lol

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I did not see the BB marks in the 1/8 inch cutting but until just now..... WOW another rookie mistake.... Yes, I bet that is causing the problem.... I will retire that bit holder.

I honestly did not see that..... Couldn't see the forest through the trees....

Too many long hours.....

Thanks for pointing that out....

AL

TerryT
07-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I can relate to that buddy. The only days I don't get up a 4am are the days I wake up 2:30am cuz I can't sleep! That's why Al amazes me so much. Seems like he never sleeps and still keeps cranking out the work with seaminly few if any mistakes!

I hate old age!

Kenm810
07-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Terry,

Quote: -- Could lead to something more serious.

I really have to agree with you, about an over heated cutting bit and charred wood; caused by any reason,
Can act as a glow plug or ignition source inside any machine that is combining moving air with a very dusty interment.
Especially if we're not near or with in sight of the machine while it's carving.

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I really agree with you Ken. It would be real easy for LHR to give us some cutting options like feed rate and depth of each pass. It would be one step closer to matching the capabilities of the Shop Bot. I am thinking of loading 126 again in another drive to give me more flexibility.

Like I said to LHR in a eMail that giving more flexibility to the cut path opens up the machine to the Awards Industry for making cut out engraving plastic and FRP. That is easily another 10 thousand users... Plus the ability to cut inlay for a round or square ceramic tile in the center of a Walnut Plaque or cut V Text would be handy.

As far as the long hours... Well it's a necessity to make my bills.... The Saw did not sell on eBay and I am $crambling....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Looks like the $crambling is paying off, will be fine....

Made 6 cut paths tonight and the new bit and bit holder I put in look great, NO Burning.... Looks like the worn Bit Holder and the coating of pitch caused all the ruckkkkkkkkkus....

Rookies.... The Sky is falling.... O'.... Rain....

Nevermind....

:) AL

Jeff_Birt
07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
We, all do that Al. I threw together a machine really quick for our Solar Car team to make the tabs (lead sets) that are used to solder together individual cells. I used a new USB based stepper driver board for the first time on this project. When I got it all up and running I could not figure out why it would start running so slowly all the sudden. My first thought was the stepper driver was getting confused. Turns out I was the confused one. The GCOde I wrote was incorrect in teh way I was specifying the feed-rate.

It's human nature, blame what ever is new for the problem before looking at anything else...;)