PDA

View Full Version : Got to be an easier way to do this

oldfartjoe
07-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi,

First project turned out really nice...problem with my second. I have a sign designed that uses all three of the text options Raster, Outline and Centerline. Things went good with the Raster text and the Outline Text probably because they used the same bit...However the Centerline Text carved with the same bit. Looks terrible...Never told me to change to the
V groove bit. What did I do wrong?

I assumed that once everything was in designer and the sign looked great that it would carve the same way..WRONG.

Question is how to put it all together? Do I have to load each section as a seperate operation? I'm almost sure there must be a simple way to do this but I have looked and looked and cannot find the answer.

Most of the first time carvings shown here are so good. I guess I expected mine to be the same..WRONG AGAIN!
I'm not very good with the computer..sometimes I think we speak a different language. (okay, maybe most of the time)

The learning curve is more difficult than I expected.

Thanks,
Joe

TurkeyBranch
07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Joe,
Post your .mpc file on here and I or someone else will look and make sure it is right.
I had that problem once before, I had forgotten to set the bit to v-groove

Ed

oldfartjoe
07-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Ed,
Thanks for answering me. I redid my file and tried carving again and this time it carved perfectly. I am pleased with the result. I was sure to select the v-groove bit this time so that must have been my problem. Okay so now I can carve basic text...I'm a happy camper.

Thanks again,
Joe

Major_A
07-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Do not Copy and Paste text that is using different style carving methods. I ran into this issue a while back and was a little dumbfounded until I found out what the problem was. So if you have a Raster text carve do not copy and paste that then open the text to edit it and change the style to Centerline.

LollyWood
07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Joe,

I fell your frustration. :confused: I think the way this gizmo does lettering is great, with the 3 options in style. But, like you, I had a few hick ups at first. I had, as I'm sure most have, to develop a repetitous habit every time I use any text style. After a while it will get easier as things become second nature.

Me: I always deal w/ each text style individually. Text, style, Size, bit, feather, drift, ect. Then I set it into the project. Next set of text. (I will tent to start out w/ text I have become comfortable with and have used in the past w/ good result.) Before saving or uploading recheck for proper height / depth. Now is when I'll take a look at the over all project. And here is where I often get myself into muddy waters. :oops: I'll change to a new text style to see how it might look, which may throw the whole set off. Then I'll have to readjust the set all over. Some time's it works out, some times not. And even though it looks great in designer, it carves like "peanut butter." so back to designer.

Eventually I figure out what text style works best for what design. The Sr. Gurus here are expert w/ this and are always willing to share their experences. Before long (not too long) your doing text work without a second thought. Your putting text over/under/on top of designs, changing styles, flipping carve regions, adding feather, setting drift, and many other things that right now are maddening. ( And you'll be doing it by instinct. :))
This is just my method for dealing w/ text, You'll have to develop your own method that works for you. ;)

So MHO just hang in there, it will get easier, promise.