PDA

View Full Version : 1.130 on a Mac (issue with patterns)

doutt
07-07-2008, 11:37 AM
I just upgraded to 1.130 and am having an issue with patterns. When I drop a patter on to my board, half of the board disappears. Stays missing even when rotating the board. It is still there as I can move the pattern around, but then disappears again when I drop the pattern. Anyone else see this?

I'm running on a Mac (10.5.4)

Mark

www.go3d.us
07-08-2008, 01:11 PM
For this question, I suggest contact the LHR tech to report the problems.
Sorry, I can't help with anything.
HT

pkunk
07-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I just upgraded to 1.130 and am having an issue with patterns. When I drop a patter on to my board, half of the board disappears. Stays missing even when rotating the board. It is still there as I can move the pattern around, but then disappears again when I drop the pattern. Anyone else see this?

I'm running on a Mac (10.5.4)

Mark
Mark, I'm still with Tiger & haven't had any problems. I doubt Leopard is the cause, but might suggest some OS maintainence. Do you have any utilities such as DiskWarrior? Have you tried just repairing permissions? Also sometimes resetting the Pram helps, too. Try these one at a time & good luck!

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

weezimp
07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I have seen this too on Leopard. It looks like a video redraw issue. I think I got it back by resizing the window a little bit.

cmorlier
07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
We have received a few reports of this problem here at LHR, but we have not been able to reproduce the problem.

If you are experiencing this problem, please contact software support (software@carvewright.com) with "1.130 Mac Display Issue" as the email subject and include details about your Mac system (OS version, Model, RAM, etc).

This will help us pinpoint the problem.

Thanks.

cholme@mac.com
08-18-2008, 01:20 AM
I have the same problem as Doutt. Macbook Pro, 2GB Ram, OSX 10.5.4. It is really annoying, please help.

mtylerfl
08-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I have the same problem as Doutt. Macbook Pro, 2GB Ram, OSX 10.5.4. It is really annoying, please help.

Hello,

Please, as already instructed, send a report of the issue you are having to software@carvewright.com with "1.130 Mac Display Issue" as the email subject and include details about your Mac system.

cholme@mac.com
08-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Hello,

Please, as already instructed, send a report of the issue you are having to software@carvewright.com with "1.130 Mac Display Issue" as the email subject and include details about your Mac system.

I already did... twice, is there a fix or workaround? No one responded to the email.

Can I download an older version of the software? It seems as though 1.1.3 may have been a bit premature?

cholme@mac.com
08-18-2008, 08:36 PM
It happens in the Pattern Editor as well.

mtylerfl
08-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I already did... twice, is there a fix or workaround? No one responded to the email.

Can I download an older version of the software? It seems as though 1.1.3 may have been a bit premature?

Do you still have a copy of the older installation file? I'm not sure where you could obtain an older version of the software for the Mac. Try doing a search of the Forum.

I feel confident the software developers received your email and are working on the issue. Apparently some folks have a problem, others don't. That could make things more challenging to figure out a solution that fits all, I imagine. You probably should call LHR Software Support directly (rather than email) to check the status.

I am sorry you're having the problem, and wish you all the best (along with a speedy solution if at all possible).

pkunk
08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
If any of you Mac users need or want an older version of the software, PM me and I'll either put it up on a server or email it to you if your email will allow it. The DMG for 1.126 is 53.2mb.

cholme@mac.com
08-21-2008, 02:11 AM
I just downgraded to 1.126 (thanks to pkunk) but it is no better with the display issue.

I would love to know what is going on and if there is a fix. I tried emailing support (as suggested) but have received no response.

atauer
08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Gentlemen,

This is for the users who are encountering the Mac display issue. What OS version is everyone running on their Macs? Is everyone running 10.5.4 or are there other versions encountering the issue?

doutt
08-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I took screen shots of ll the information from the system profiler and sent it to software@carvewright.com. This included software, hardware and graphics card data. Hopefully this will help diagnose the issue and resolve the problem.

Mark

atauer
08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Mark,

I'll make sure our engineers get the information. The more information we can get on the issue the better.

thank you.

pkunk
08-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Gentlemen,

This is for the users who are encountering the Mac display issue. What OS version is everyone running on their Macs? Is everyone running 10.5.4 or are there other versions encountering the issue?
It appears that those with problems are running 10.5. I have no issues with 10.4.
It seems to be with all versions of Designer.

rnm
11-01-2008, 03:33 PM
I have the same problem and just upgraded to 1.131 and still have it. Macbook pro, NV 8600M, 4GB, 10.5.5. I just emailed support about it.

If you remove the check mark from "Toggle Auto Re-Render" (under the view menu) the problem goes away. Not sure what I'm losing by turning that off, but at least I can see what my project again.

Update: Looks like I spoke too soon, still cuts off part of the image, no matter what I do.

JRBauer
11-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I've seen the problem of incomplete screen refresh, too. (OS X 10.5.5, CW 1.131). I reported it to CW in early July, and told them about the workaround (below) in August.

Some futzing-around on my part has revealed the following: The bad behavior only occurs when the bottom scrollbar is on-screen. When the window is moved so the bottom scrollbar is below the display area, the display works as it should.

rnm
11-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey you're right! Moved the window down to hide the bottom scroll bar and the problem went away. Thanks for the tip!

mwolfe
03-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Macbook, which I just upgraded with OSX Leopard, unfortunately. It's caused me nothing but headache. I then downloaded and installed Carvewright 1.133. I had the same problems as described here, the display would not properly stay refreshed when I placed a pattern in my design. I had saved 1.130, but it had the same problem. I tried the trick given here, moving the window down until the bottom scroll bar is off the screen, and yes, the whole design then refreshes properly, but then the mouse icon is stuck in a 'rotating ball I'm busy' mode.
Finally, I tried toggling the 'auto rerender', that seems to work, the jury's still out. I just wanted to update you all that the problem seems to still be here.
I may just give up on the Mac. It's likely a Leopard problem, I'm really sorry I upgraded. Apple software is not the greatest, though their marketing is really good.

Jeff_Birt
03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I may just give up on the Mac. It's likely a Leopard problem, I'm really sorry I upgraded. Apple software is not the greatest, though their marketing is really good

Oh the shock, Oh the horror! You mean that Macs are not perfect? :(

I'm just kidding of course! It is just refreshing to see a Mac owner be a bit more realistic about the virtues of Mac-dom. IMHO, I see Macs as being just as screwed up as PC's, but Apple has a very loyal fan club.

As a matter of comparison, our university had to give up on Active Directory support for Macs as it got severely broken every other update from Apple. It also appears that Apple's support at the enterprise level is weak w.r.t. MS, Dell, etc.

SeaCapt97
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard to try fixing a checksum problem in downloaded Designer project files. I didn't help. But be aware, if you are using any older "Mac Classic environment" programs, Leopard no longer supports he "Classic" environment.

Billions
03-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Mwolfe, seeing as how you're on a MacBook, and you tell us you just upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5, I'm guessing it may be one of the first gen MacBooks - the ones that use the Intel integrated graphics chips, aka "the ones that share the RAM with the processor."

MacBooks are the entry-level laptops for Apple (still very, very nice, much better-equipped than other companies' 'entry level' machines), but used to ship with too little RAM to really shine, and rely heavily on 'virtual' memory, which is swapping out what's in RAM using caches on the hard drive, slower than actual RAM.

I'm wondering if your screen-redraw beachballs may be an issue caused by the OS and Carvewright not having enough RAM to operate correctly - how much RAM do you have installed? If you're not sure, you can go to the 'Apple' menu in the upper left and click on 'About this Mac.'

If it's anything under a Gig, I'd suggest going on to NewEgg.com or my favorite, ChipMerchant.com, and order some more RAM. In fact, max it out, it's very affordable - I just checked and it's about $12.50 for a gig - that's a far cry from the $210 I used to pay for a meg to get my Macintosh IIfx up to 8megs! Of course, that was in 1992 - a lot has changed.

Anyway, more RAM will help make things run much better all around (system operations, switching apps, etc.) and maybe help with the redraw issues. If you're currently operating on minimum memory it can make a machine seem downright clunky. And one of the advantages of the MacBook over the MacBookPro is how easy it is to access and change the RAM and the harddrive - also, there are plenty of step-by-step picture-filled tutorials online if you're feeling a little daunted.

Also, if you do decide to "give up on the Mac," you're actually in a really good position - since it's an Intel-processor based machine, you can install and restart under Windows on it too, and be done with Leopard and whatever else you attribute to marketing ;).

For the record, I'm using both a Mac G5 and a Mac PowerBook - and I haven't had this problem on either machine. I have other little bugs that crop up in Designer, but nothing debilitating. I'm wondering what machines all the people experiencing this are using - it may be the integrated graphics chipsets that the intel machines like MacBooks and iMacs are using.