PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Bit

shoe2728
07-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I plan on getting centerline, I have a 60 deg. bit already will that work ok for putting into a bit holder or do I need to use the bit from carvewright. Also what is the big difference between the 60 and 90. thanks.

rjustice
07-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Shoe,
Yes your "V" bit will work as long as it is center cutting. The way the centerline routine works is that it tries to maitain the width of the font at the face of the workpiece by sinking the bit until it is at that width of cut. So the difference between the 60 and 90 is that the 60 will cut a little bit deeper at the face of the workpiece. If you have a larger font you may want to go with the 90 just to make it shallower. If you are using a small thin font it will look better using the 60.

Hope that helps...

Happy Carving,

Ron

Kenm810
07-06-2008, 02:46 PM
shoe2728

I'm sure you already know, but just in case --the machine likes solid carbide or carbide tipped 60 and 90 degree bits.
High speed steel bits just won't cut it at the high rpms of the CW or CC machines. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif A few folks have tried it with poor results.

shoe2728
07-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the reply about the bits. If I use non cw bits do I need to grind a flat spot on the bits for the set screws?

cnsranch
07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
I haven't - I've been using bits from Woodcraft - they work great (so far).

Just make sure you use blue loctite on your set screws (I also used a small amount on the bits themselves - hope I don't ever have to get them out!).

rjustice
07-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the reply about the bits. If I use non cw bits do I need to grind a flat spot on the bits for the set screws?

shoe,
If you are using the tools with 1/2 shanks, they are held in by collet pressure only, so grinding flats will not do any good. If they are 1/4 shank then yes, you will need to put a couple small flats on them. If you dont, you will find that the screws stick out too far from the bit adapter, and will keep the QC from locking in properly.
I have also put a drop of the BLUE loctite on the shanks of the tools to prevent any suprises. It will break down pretty easily if you heat it up for a few seconds using a propane torch. (out of the machine of course!!)

Hope this helps!

Ron