PDA

View Full Version : Evaporative Cooling

dwbox
07-05-2008, 08:57 PM
A little off topic perhaps, but very important to me...............

I live in the Houston area and have to work out of my detached garage. I have the garage set up in an "acceptable" manner so that when I move the boss's car, I can work. However, it is sooooooooo hot in there I can hardly stand to use my machine, I added a power exhaust fan last summer, but it's not enough. I'm wondering if any of you have tried evaporative cooling in your garages? I not sure how effective they would be in Houston with the high humidity and dew points during the summer.

Or, has anyone added acceptable air conditioning? I know it's not the most economical, but for a day or two use a week perhaps I could do it.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

www.go3d.us
07-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Try window air conditioner. It work better.
HT

hotpop
07-06-2008, 03:43 PM
dwbox,

I've been to Houston,TX many times. It is indeed a very humid area in the summer.

Evaporators work by adding water to the air. That's not good in a wood shop as your tools will start rusting in a hurry.

An air conditioner would be much better as it removes moisture from the air. You can usually find a cheap one in the classifieds of you local newspaper or type in your location at www.craigslist.com.

luckettg
07-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I tried one while living in Grand Prairie, TX. It is a subburb of Dallas and not as humid as the Houston area. While it was dry outside for a month or two, it was fine, but then it started raining several times a week and there was mold growing on the ceilings and other odd spots. It did cool nicely unless it rained. I removed it and shifted to a regular 3 ton window unit and spent some time cleaning up the mold problem.

I would not recommend using it anywhere east of San Antonio...the dryer the climate the better. El Paso has thousands of them.

FINGERS
07-06-2008, 11:28 PM
I use a exhaust fan in my rafters to suck out the hot air in my 24x24 shop and a 12000 btu ac to cool and it stays nice and cool in there.

luckettg
07-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Does the AC unit run constantly when the exhaust fan is moving out the hot air? I might try it, but it is so rarely really hot here in SW Michigan that it is probably not worth the effort for me.:)

dwbox
07-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Good input all. I think I'll shop for a window unit. Of course, that means I have to add a window. :)

FINGERS
07-07-2008, 09:19 AM
If I am going to work in my shop I'll turn on the exhaust fan on in the morning to move the air out and if I have to I'll turn on the ac to cool, all 4 walls in my Work Shop/Garage have 3/4" foilface fome that helps to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter and the the exaust fan is grate when I spray it move the spray mist out.

FINGERS
07-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Why a window I cut a hole in the back wall for the ac unit 4 or 5 feet below the exhaust fan, I think for it to work good you both ac and exhaust, with the exhaust fan the ac doesn't work as hard or long to cool.

TurkeyBranch
07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
In my shop I use a thru the wall heat pump. It maintains a perfect temperature (I like it at 70 degrees) summer and winter. It also keeps the moisture out of the air.
Now, I run mine 24/7/365 and it has raised my power bill about $25.00 a month, so I figure it is well worth it for my comfort. :)

I bought from here... Air Conditioners (http://www.airconditioner.com/)

Hope this helps