PDA

View Full Version : Loading Bits

starman2
07-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Probably something simple, but Im at a loss.

Im running into a situation where during startup on a project, the machine asks to load a certain bit. After loading the bit ther maachine goes through its normal gyrations of locating the workpiece and the bit length, then asks to load the same bit again. Like its not finding something its looking for. Seems like the vertical travel is not goiong all the way down to the workpiece, but it does travel all the way down to the bit flapper as it usually does. Any ideas would be appreciated.

dougmsbbs
07-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Last time I ran into this I had to re-level the head. Don't know if thats your problem, but it might be something you want to check....

starman2
07-07-2008, 03:59 AM
Thanks. Still not sure what caused it, but its seemed to "heal" itself for now. We will see. I keep my machine well maintained and clean, but maybe a stray bit of sawdust was causing it. At any rate thank you for the reply.

ChrisAlb
07-07-2008, 04:27 AM
Probably something simple, but Im at a loss.

Im running into a situation where during startup on a project, the machine asks to load a certain bit. After loading the bit ther maachine goes through its normal gyrations of locating the workpiece and the bit length, then asks to load the same bit again. Like its not finding something its looking for. Seems like the vertical travel is not goiong all the way down to the workpiece, but it does travel all the way down to the bit flapper as it usually does. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi starman2,

Sounds to me like a chip got in the Z belt causing it to not touch the workpiece. Everyone in here knows how anal I am about keeping my machine spotless and it's happened to me before. Since it seems to have "healed" itself, it's a likely bet.

Just good you're up and running again.

Chris

rkilman
07-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Please clarify what you refer to as the Z belt. I just had the same thing happen where I could not get the machine to "recognize" that I had installed the requested bit.

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
The Z belt is what drives the Z head up and down. When it is at the bit plate and going down it looks to just kiss the bit plate and turn around and go back up. Any sawdust in the COGS of the Z belt are like putting a rock in front of you car tire and trying to move you car over the rock. The computer at that time when it is going down to touch the bit plate is listening to or monitoring the Z motor current. A Spike in current tells the computer that the tip HAS touched the BIT PLATE without damaging it. At the time the bit is going down to the bit plate and it encounters a chunk of sawdust in the belt cog it THINKS it touched the bit plate.. Hence the cause of most AIR Carves....

Keep you Z Belt area clean.

AL

Amonaug
07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Please clarify what you refer to as the Z belt. I just had the same thing happen where I could not get the machine to "recognize" that I had installed the requested bit.

The Z-belt is the one behind the Z-truck that moves it vertically. The belt behind the rail that moves it left/right is the Y-belt.