PDA

View Full Version : Load Board Problems

concepte
07-04-2008, 09:55 PM
I use 1" x 12" x 18" boards - Straight and flat on my carvings.
When I lower my Carvewright and select #7 for measuring
I keep getting to load the board. I run the crank up and then down with 5 clicks or more and then play with it up/down or push in to get a little more pressure. I look at the wheel under the board and the black rubber ring is there.
My question is: Is there a sensor other than the brass roller or is there a pressure sensor that I need to clean. After a while of playing with it I finally do get to continue and it works just fine. This happens most (98%) of the time when installing a new pine board.
Help
Larry

fwharris
07-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Larry,

There is a sensor for the compression rollers and also a board sensor. Both could be your problem. Also lighting (or a lack of) at or above the CW will effect the board sensor readings.

Have you done any sensor checks on your machine to see what readings you are getting?

Digitalwoodshop
07-04-2008, 11:03 PM
With 130 I am getting clean board sensor way too offten... and Check board... Do a sensor check and board detector is 160... on the board so it is clear....

Even get this WEIRD Scale to fit..... As the width measurement is short.... Shut off the machine and measure again and it is Normal..... Same boards I always use... What changed is 130....

I am wondering if 130 changed the little averaging program I heard was used to average the numbers to mathematically calculate the optical center of the board detector.

AL

Jeff_Birt
07-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Al, you might try to recalibrate the machine. Will only take a few minutes to try...

Deolman
07-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I know it may be something else, but when it kept telling me to load the board I tried several boards. I even checked the pressure with the bathroom scale and it was right on. (A lot of other things as well.) Finally some place in the forum told me to loosen and retighten the 4 screws on the top that go into the 4 posts. I did that and haven't got the error since. I am wondering if the mere act of picking the machine up and moving it might tweak something.

ChrisAlb
07-04-2008, 11:41 PM
I use 1" x 12" x 18" boards - Straight and flat on my carvings.
When I lower my Carvewright and select #7 for measuring
I keep getting to load the board. I run the crank up and then down with 5 clicks or more and then play with it up/down or push in to get a little more pressure. I look at the wheel under the board and the black rubber ring is there.
My question is: Is there a sensor other than the brass roller or is there a pressure sensor that I need to clean. After a while of playing with it I finally do get to continue and it works just fine. This happens most (98%) of the time when installing a new pine board.
Help
Larry

Hi Larry, and welcome

The rollers on your machine are not compressing alll the way. Check the head pressure as described in your manual. A quick check is to just add a little down pressure on the head while cranking. I usually crank it until it clicks and then add enough pressure to make it go down a little more.

liquidguitars
07-06-2008, 01:19 PM
With 130 I am getting clean board sensor way too offten... and Check board...

I am getting this error two with 1.130.. on my end it's linked to the table pressure cranked to high, pushing the board sensor to close to the surface zeroing out the LEDs

fix: do not clean the sensor but crank the table up 3 mm or so the next time you get this error.. works :)

LG

concepte
07-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Well to fix my load board problem -
1. Run the top up and clean the 4 posts with alcohol or a dry rag.
2. Spray a rag with DRY LUBRICANT (I used LPS Dry Lub)
3. Run the top down and repeat #2 above the upper section
4. Run the top up again and repeat #2 below the upper section.
5. Reapply a thin layer of DRY LUBE again.
You need to wipe the post with a dry rag (terry towel is good) after each use to minimize a proplem.

Good Luck
Larry

dmhpilot
07-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Last March I took a Carvewright machine home which I got from a WoodShow. I set it up immediately and could not get any project to run because of the board compression problem. I finally gave up and returned to the woodshow the next morning. The carvewright team took the machine apart and confirmed that the board sensor was not functioning. This was a brand new unit, and the person that assisted me was visibly unhappy that the machine made it to a customer without this working.

I was given another machine. It had problems too, but that's another story. Eventually I received a machine that has worked OK for about 5 months.

My point? The board sensor may actually be bad, and that may or may not be replaceable with a part in the mail.

Amonaug
07-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Last March I took a Carvewright machine home which I got from a WoodShow. I set it up immediately and could not get any project to run because of the board compression problem. I finally gave up and returned to the woodshow the next morning. The carvewright team took the machine apart and confirmed that the board sensor was not functioning. This was a brand new unit, and the person that assisted me was visibly unhappy that the machine made it to a customer without this working.

I was given another machine. It had problems too, but that's another story. Eventually I received a machine that has worked OK for about 5 months.

My point? The board sensor may actually be bad, and that may or may not be replaceable with a part in the mail.

Board sensor is a simple replacement part that is screwed into the bottom of the Z-truck with 2 tiny screws. If it's not under warranty it costs $15.00 + $12.00 shipping.

concepte
07-24-2008, 07:15 AM
My problem was dirty (with wood dust) on the screws and post - Cleaned with a penatrate spray on a rag then wiped clean then with a thinner and then let dry. Finalized with a spray of LPS Dry Lube.

Thanks for all replies.

We are so much more with others than we are by ourselves

Larry