PDA

View Full Version : Letters on a curved surface can this work?

Gary Koval
07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi all,
I have a problem with a scanned pattern of a police badge that I hope some of you can help me with. I have tried and failed looking this up in search and archives. Sooo, here it is-- the scan which is a shield type of badge and is concave, (hope that’s the term that describes it) curved from side to side. When I did the scan where the lettering on the badge is, it was smooth to the touch, (letters imbedded into a glass or epoxy of some sort). I can get the shape of the badge cut without a problem, but when I put letters to the badge, (where they were located), they are either to tall and become distorted (pic 1.) Or if I try to fool the machine in centerline I don't get the full letters cut because of the curve(pic 2). I tried making the whole badge shallower, but the badge looks terrible (pic 3). I tried and tried different heights and depths without any results. I want to keep the badge as close to the original size as I can. Making it considerably larger does resolve the problem but I'm trying to keep it in the 2.5"x3.6" range. I have erased the name of the Dept.- to protect the innocent lol. Does anyone have any ideas, or if this has been covered before kindly point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Gary

ChrisAlb
07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi Gary,

Yep, Although the text is pretty small and might chip. Take a look.

Badge depth changed to .375"
Text Depth changed to .100" and Height 50

Text is "Merged Additive" (to follow the curve below it).

I put it in a carved region for the picture so it's easier to see. I removed that region in the file.

Hope that helps.

eromran
07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry but i don't have much time but this may get you started. Reopen the MPC file below so you can see changes. All i did was mess with Police officer.
Changed the depth height put a little draft on letters changed it from normal to additive if you want it to look like it is carved into badge instead of raised select subtractive. Draft is under carving menu on top. Depth and height is shown on top. Hope this helps.

Gary Koval
07-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Chris, Ed,
Thanks for the help. Although I should have known to do that, sometimes I get caught up trying to fix something, the answer to which is staring me right in the face. Gotta love this forum for all its help!
Thanks again,
Gary

ChrisAlb
07-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Anytime Gary. Glad to help.

I think if we could stuff all the combined knowledge in this forum into one brain, we'd need a warehouse to fit it in.