PDA

View Full Version : Board Sensor ZERO.... and OPEN COVER

Digitalwoodshop
07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Has been an interesting day with my machine. Cut motor failed to start and I knew looking at the hour meter 747 cut motor hours that it was time for set #2 of the Cut Motor Brushes. Removed the motor and yes the 3/16 inch long brushes were TOO short.... The braided copper wire in the middle of the spring acts like a dog chain and holds the brushes back... A new set of brushes installed and I was back running. Lubed the cut shaft and was looking like a grease monkey.... So off the machine went carving.

An hour later I was at the point of Flip the board and after I was getting check board sensor. Cleaned it and had a non changing 7..... Powered down and replaced the board detector and it looked good hanging there 150 with a piece of white paper. Just for the heck I put the bad one back in and it was reading zero and it is one of the LHR Glued units???????

Put the new sensor back in and put it back together without checking and now I get a OPEN COVER..... I look at the sensor data and the rollers are compressed but showing uncompressed. Z data is Zero and will not change. Y data works.

I should have checked a few more sensors but I had a hint of what had happened...

While I was replacing the board detector I had pulled a little slack down from the wires. A wire was now pinched between the plastic track cover and the metal of the Z truck.

I got out my flashlight and needle nose pliers and on the back of the Z truck little black plastic board cover you will see the big flat ribbon cable, the Z Motor power and encoder wires and a plug at the bottom to power the board detector.... Long sentence -5 points...

I carefully pulled one wire at a time and just like I thought one was pinched so I pulled it up.

Powered back up and manually compressed and uncompressed the roller and it changed states. Checked the board sensor and it now worked again with the new sensor..... I did not mess with the old one again.....

Put it back together and started a project and away it went, a Happy Carving Machine....

So Lucky me...... the first time that happened I was in warranty and had to send the machine in for repair.

I remember someone posting about a open cover problem that would not go away.

Check the rollers and try to change the status by pressing on them and also check and see if the Z data changes.

What had happened was the pinched wire shorted some of the logic and the original 7 board sensor never changing was because the data buss was locked up. For the Binary Digital Logic Guy's a Binary 1 1 1 = 7
4 + 2 + 1..... So the short might have caused the logic to go High or 1

Just something to look at.

A few months ago I pinched and broke a wire for the board detector and ordered a replacement. That replacement would have involved removing the Y Axis a VERY BIG job..... I was able to get enough slack and spliced the wire soldering it and using very small heat shrink to protect it. It still works.

I will post pictures later I have a meeting tonight for Fire Clocks.... A 50th celibration....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2008, 01:58 PM
More problems this morning. The Cut Motor was running at a slower speed than normal and was varying in speed lacking power. Got the Check Cut Motor fault a few times. Took the cut motor apart and no problems seen. Though I had put the screw in too far holding the rubber shaft in but that was not it.

Broke out machine 3 and went to use is and the Y drive could hardly be moved. That was not a problem when I cleaned it after I got it. Had not done any carving with it yet.

Started to remove the Y bearings and then decide to just swap the cut motor as I had taken it apart and it was clean.

Swap the cut motor to my 747 hour machine and SAME problem....

Removed the bottom and my repaired Capacitor looks like it was sometimes making contact and sometimes not. Wonder why it did not turn on like with 126... did they change something in the program.

I just go over and check on the machine after the V60 finished and I see my Text is light on the right side of the machine. I meant to check the head while I had the bottom cover off earlier... Should have.

See the pictures, a block of wood on the left and right. The right has a plastic name tag on top of the wood to show the gap.

I removed the bottom and disconnected the left side cross connector. It is just held with a screw and washer. Both screws were loose so that is why I slipped a few teeth....

Using the hand crank I made both sides equal rather than try to turn the shaft from the bottom. The EASY Way.....

Just finished air carving the project again and the small text is fixed.

Back to work.....

This put me 5 hours behind....

AL

Amonaug
07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
While I was replacing the board detector I had pulled a little slack down from the wires. A wire was now pinched between the plastic track cover and the metal of the Z truck.

I got out my flashlight and needle nose pliers and on the back of the Z truck little black plastic board cover you will see the big flat ribbon cable, the Z Motor power and encoder wires and a plug at the bottom to power the board detector.... Long sentence -5 points...

I carefully pulled one wire at a time and just like I thought one was pinched so I pulled it up.

Powered back up and manually compressed and uncompressed the roller and it changed states. Checked the board sensor and it now worked again with the new sensor..... I did not mess with the old one again.....

You know that sounds exactly like the problem I'm having, but it only happens with the new Z-motor plugged in. Can't really fix it now anyway if it's only a pinched wire. The keypad now only shows blocks when turned on, using the contrast has no effect...only makes the blocks darker or lighter. So I have a feeling a short fried the keypad.

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Keypad blocks are caused by the card not plugged in to the machine. Is the card plugged into the machine right side up?

Or a pinched wire shorting the logic locking up the data buss. Or bad card... Can the reader read the card?

AL

Amonaug
07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Keypad blocks are caused by the card not plugged in to the machine. Is the card plugged into the machine right side up?

Or a pinched wire shorting the logic locking up the data buss. Or bad card... Can the reader read the card?

AL

The card and reader are fine, card plugs into the machine fine. At one point when I was putting everything back together the power was still on and I either plugged or unplugged the ribbon cable (can't remember which) and suddenly the Y-truck moved then the keypad went blank and came back on with the blocks. Now that's all I get even turning off the machine, etc.

liquidguitars
07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Did you remove the side panal on the key pad side to see if the LCD ribon is conected? That cable can get damaged..

LG

thomasj
07-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Kevin,
If you plugged / unplugged something with the power on, it's very likely that something in one of the electronics circuits got 'fried'.
Seen it happen many times with digital / computer equipment! Hate to say but I've done it myself once or twice. Sorry I can't offer anymore than that!
TJ

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Hate to say it but something might have fried.... Now that is the $350.00 question.... The advantage of 3 machines is swapping parts.... I really thought the cut motor was bad this morning.... Turned out to be the controller card..... Saw it After I changed the Motor...

Kurt's $900.00 machine really has my attention..... But with poor cash flow "Today" and me putting my Alaskan Chainsaw on eBay for CASH FLOW..... I would rather not put it on the Credit Card.... But I am tempted....

AL

Amonaug
07-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Hate to say it but something might have fried.... Now that is the $350.00 question.... The advantage of 3 machines is swapping parts.... I really thought the cut motor was bad this morning.... Turned out to be the controller card..... Saw it After I changed the Motor...

Kurt's $900.00 machine really has my attention..... But with poor cash flow "Today" and me putting my Alaskan Chainsaw on eBay for CASH FLOW..... I would rather not put it on the Credit Card.... But I am tempted....

AL

Sorry Al but I think I'll beat you to it :) Unfortunately he's gone for the weekend.

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Good Luck with it. From the pictures he has posted in the past He keeps it VERY CLEAN...

Should be a GREAT Machine.

Good Luck,

AL