PDA

View Full Version : yet another newbie

rkasparek
07-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Greetings to all - and thank you for passing on your knowledge!
I am about to order my carvewright! My buddy and I are going to try to do some work in the evenings on this machine. He is very well versed in the programming aspects as he runs a coordinate measuring machine at work. Me... I'm just the goofball that decided we needed a hobby! :)

Anyway, I was curious as to the types of wood people use and more importantly, where do y'all find the stuff? I'm way out here in West Texas and am having trouble finding wood stock for this marvelous machine!

I'd like to suggest that Carvewright add a section on wood supplies so that when one of us users finds a good supplier - we can share the info with others. (just an idea.)

Thanks in advance.

cnsranch
07-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Try doing a search for "wood", "types of wood" (advanced search), etc. You'll find a ton of info about oak, cherry, poplar, cedar, on and on.

Remember, the tighter the grain, the better the results. Unfortunately, the tighter the grain, the more expensive the wood!

Great luck with your new toy.

deemon328
07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Any wood is fine, from pine to really dense imports.

Find a lumber mill or custom millwork shop in the yellow pages if you don't have the necessary tools to work with raw lumber. Millwork shops will be able to sell you planed stock, ready to go. Stay away from the BORG lumber if you can; it's way overpriced.

Amonaug
07-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I use Aspen, Poplar, Red Oak, Mahogany, Cherry, Walnut. Cedar. All available at Menards but it's not too cheap, especially Cherry & Walnut ($15.54 a board foot). I also have a sawmill about 30 miles away I can get some rough sawn lumber from for about $3-4 per board foot.

rkasparek
07-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks all! Just received my wunderbox this evening! ...and a 3 day weekend to boot! Can't wait to figure out something to carve!