PDA

View Full Version : Tried Patch... Missing MSI ?

hetzerguitars
06-30-2008, 08:55 PM
I tried the new patch and I got "Carvewright System.msi" cannot be found.
Got it on both machines.

Typically installsheild would put that file in a temp directory such as;
C:\DOCUME~1\cosmo\LOCALS~1\Temp\{FF2C4321-E9BD-4942-B298-2F9DF4D58303}\

But in my case I cannot find where it is storing the unzipped files. I have searched the entire HD for the file and I do not have it.

Anyone else?

- Jim

swhitney
06-30-2008, 08:59 PM
in previous updates, I have had this same problem. My fix was to do a complete install and get the licensing info via the web.....

Mikebee
06-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Am having the same problem and file is nowhere to be found

thomasj
06-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Same problem Jim.
I searched and found two copies on my computer but when I directed the installer to those locations it said they were not valid files!

So - I gave up and installed the full version. Seems to work OK but I won't be carving until tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!
TJ

Mikebee
06-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Do you mean full version 1.130, where would I find it?

Mikebee
06-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Should have read a little more, sorry.

royerm
06-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Got this from another thread
http://www.carvewright.com/update?jmid=3182&j=135283475

Full version seems to be the solution for myself also.

Michel

roughcut
06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
All I had to do was put the disk that came with my machine in the CD drive
it must need to access files on the disk;;;;;;;;;;;

Jeff_Birt
06-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I had a similar issue with the patch as well. I have reported this to CW, with a link to this thread.

dwbox
07-01-2008, 09:35 AM
the link for the full install points to the patch. Try this: http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/designer_1_130.exe

Audie
07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Put the original Designer CD in your CD Tray before you start the update...you do not have to do a complete install....so cancel the installation.

Then start your update and it will find the MSI file on the CD and install properly for you.

My updates went smooth as silk on both of my computers.

Audie

Jeff_Birt
07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Can you guys who are having problems with the patch tell me if you originally installed off CD. also, if inserting the CD allows the patch to work for you can you tell me what version you CD is?

Thanks,

cnsranch
07-01-2008, 10:58 AM
I downloaded both the patch and the full version. My cd is at home, but tried to install the patch first. Installer gave the message that it needed info from the cd, and asked me to insert it in the drive - obviously couldn't, so it canceled installation. I then went to install the full version, it went off without a hitch. I'm now up and running on the offfice computer with 1.30

Regards

thomasj
07-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Jeff,
I had D/L'd V1.126 from the web site and registered it when I got my machine. Never used the CD that came with the machine.

When I had trouble installing the 'patch' last night I did a search on my computer and found two .msi files. I pointed the installer to them (of course one at a time) and installer said they were invalid!

I never did try to use the CD - it was getting late. I just installed the full version!

Hope that helps.
TJ

ncamp
07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Can you guys who are having problems with the patch tell me if you originally installed off CD. also, if inserting the CD allows the patch to work for you can you tell me what version you CD is?

Thanks,

Jeff,

I had the same problem. I installed from the trial version of 1.126 off the web and activated that when I got the machine. The upgrade could not find the .msi file.

I was a little scared, but I downloaded the full installer and ran it. It said it was upgrading and ran fine.

After the full install, all my licenses and patterns were intact. I did not have to do anything. I can edit the patterns just like before. My centerline, purchased patterns, and pattern editor licenses are still there. No need to go and relicense or reactivate licenses.

The full install looks to perform just like an upgrade. So far, I have had no issues using the full install for the upgrade.

Audie
07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Jeff,

I had originally installed Designer from my CD - it is V 1.126, so I had no problems when I used my original CD as the source for the .msi file

Audie

andes
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Jeff,

Yes, I did install orig via cdrom. But I'm pretty sure that the cd I have is an older ver then 1.126, so I was wondering if that may be part of the issue. The patch is looking for System.msi and can't seem to find that on the cdrom. I have the cd that came with the machine and one that CW sent me when I purchased centerline; neither will work.

andes
07-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Audie, tried that too, did not work.

andes
07-01-2008, 10:35 PM
dwbox, the full worked this time; thanks for link.

ChrisAlb
07-02-2008, 04:53 AM

Thanks,

Jeff,

I've done it both ways actually. Installed from download & the CD. Same issue with missing the msi file. Feeding it the CD produced the msi file but it was the wrong one.

CD version is 1.120

fwharris
07-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Jeff,
I had the same results as Chris.
I had the same problem when doing the ugrade to 1.126.
I did the full down load and no problems.

Jeff,

I've done it both ways actually. Installed from download & the CD. Same issue with missing the msi file. Feeding it the CD produced the msi file but it was the wrong one.

CD version is 1.120

Jeff_Birt
07-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Here is the scoop in the 'patch' install. The patch installer needs to look at the original installation files and find out what parts are different in the newer version.

When you install something on your PC the location of where it was installed from is saved. So, if you did your original installation off of CD (Version 1.123 on up) then the path to your CD drive (most likely D:\) is saved and the patch installer will look there. If, like me, your original installation was from a download then it is a different story. These downloaded is packaged in a single file that extracts itself to a temporary directory, which is erased after the installation. So, when that patch installer tries to find the original source directory it no longer exists.

So, in short. CW came out with the 'patch' download to help out all the folks still on dial up internet service. It has the advantage of a much smaller download size.