PDA

View Full Version : Newby-Height of images?

rhglassdr
06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
How can I tell if I have the images depth correct or deep enough that it carves the whole image? with out skipping the top of the image.... on my first carving it skipped part of the rope border and the skull.

Amonaug
06-30-2008, 06:12 PM
If you see it in designer it SHOULD carve the same way. Mostly it's playing around with depth (where the bottom of the pattern is) and height (how "thick" the pattern is).

The .mpc you posted looks good to me except I'd probably add at least a small draft to the text. Maybe raise the skull to a depth of .25 so the tip of the dagger shows and maybe up the height to 150 or so. Oh and "to late" should be "too late"

ChrisAlb
06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
How can I tell if I have the images depth correct or deep enough that it carves the whole image? with out skipping the top of the image.... on my first carving it skipped part of the rope border and the skull.

Hi rhglassdr and welcome aboard!!

Kevin (AKA Amoung) is quite right about the text.

Also, Always tilt your view (Image 1) around to see the heights as they relate to one another. If you have a 3 button mouse you can just press and hold the middle button while moving the mouse around. If you have a two button mouse, use the "rotate" tool (image 2) and the left button.

In "general", If you have a carved region of .4, with a pattern at .2, the pattern height will be half the region depth taller.

Take a close look at the changes I made in this file. I left the bottom text alone so you can see the difference when tilted. The way you have it, it will likely chip out on you.

Changes:
Region .4 deep 50 in height
Rope .4 deep 100 in height
Skull .25 deep 400 in height
Top Text .25 deep 75 in height with a medium merge

Hope that helps

rhglassdr
06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the quick help, I'm going to try it again......