PDA

View Full Version : Check for board problem

jcorder
06-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I have had my machine for one week and I am yet to complete a project with any satisfaction. I know most of it is just the learning curve I have to go through so I am not totally disappointed at this point. However, now I am unable to get anything to run, each time I start a project, it goes through the process and then before it cuts, it tells me "check the board for problems". I have changed boards, put different lengths and widths in and still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

ChrisAlb
06-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Without knowing what you're carving it's kind of tough to tell.

When you say "It goes through the process", Does it go ALL the way through i.e., asks for ALL the bits involved and gets to the carving bit?

Are you telling it to stay under rollers and do you have the addition 7" in length on the "real" board?

jcorder
06-29-2008, 06:10 PM
I am telling it to stay under the rollers. I have more than the needed 7 inches. It will go through the measure of the board and when it gets to the end, it will back up a few inches and then stop like it is thinking and then it will tell me to check the board. Hope that helps. I appreciate your response

Jeff_Birt
06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
How thick is your board? If must be at least 1/2" thick.

ChrisAlb
06-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Ok, so it never gets to asking for the bits right?

It measures the "width" OK right?

Does it find the first edge (left edge as you're looking the machine) and stop there?

Or does it find that one (left edge) OK, and give you the message on the right edge? Before finding it or after?

Edit:

Good point Jeff. Starting to sound like a roller issue?

jcorder
06-29-2008, 07:04 PM
the board is 3/4 inch long. it measures the width just fine, then it measures the left end (if you are facing the keypad) just fine, then moves to the right, seems to find that end ok, them comes back a few inches and that is where it stops.

jcorder
06-29-2008, 07:06 PM
ok let me change that, it is 3/4 inch thick and no, it never gets to asking for the bits.

Amonaug
06-29-2008, 07:15 PM
The gurus can probably tell if this is wrong or not but when the board measures the length it looks for the compression rollers to release which tells it the end of the board is coming up so start looking for it. It seems to find the left end OK and moves to find the right end and fails when it tries to move the right end back under the roller.

To me it sounds like either the roller switch is sticking or perhaps the board you are using is slightly warped/cupped?

ChrisAlb
06-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I know you said you've used different boards so this is just a stab here.

Make sure the bottom edge of the board that runs on the little brass wheel is flat and square for at least 3/8" in.

And make sure the brass wheel turns freely and has it's rubber O-ring in place and that ring has no flat spots or damage on it.

Edit:

That's also a good point Keven. Make sure the right roller moves up and down freely.

jcorder
06-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Perhaps the sticking roller, but I have tried several boards and each give the same result

jcorder
06-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Ok, dumb question here, when should I engage the red lock handle? I just ran two quick projects without it engaged and it worked perfectly.

Kenm810
06-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Some folks use the red locking lever on every carving,
Other never use it at all, with out any ill effects.
I engage mine about half the time, or if I happen to think of it.
Sometimes after the carving process has already started.

jcorder
06-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks, for the moment that seems to have been my problem, I have had no problems since leaving it off.

Digitalwoodshop
06-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I have had that very same problem a few time in the past week. After the initial measurement. I select place on end of board and it moves a few inches then it normally measures the board for width. It hesitates after moving the head to the left edge of the board. Gives the Check board fault. I have had is a few times with the same board... It was cupped slightly. Not saying it will always be a cupped board but a few times it was. I also checked the sensors and compressed rollers and saw they were both compressed. The board sensor was in the 50's when it was normally in the 150's. Cranked the head up, reset the board to the left guide and back down. Started over, 3 times same error. The 4th cranked the head down tighter and it worked.....

So I am thinking a few thing to check for me. I have been running one machine hard for a few weeks with no problems. It is time for maintenance, cleaning, blowing out the switches, lubrication. I also think my head might be high on the right side as I see some carving is lighter on that side like the head is not even.

Here is a picture of a clock where the words "We Fight" and "Firefighter" are light. I tried to fix it with my dremel but it looks bad so I will cut it again.

Next time check sensors and look at the compressed rollers and the board detector number. You might need to manually push the head over the board.

Next time raise the head and clean the board detector plastic window.
Next time reset the head cranking it tighter or a few more clicks after a power off.

Deolman
06-29-2008, 09:34 PM
When I first tried to use mine it kept telling me to load the board even though it was already in the machine. I searched the forum and found where it said to loosen all four of the bolts on the top in the corners and retighten them. It has worked fine since I did that. I'm thinking that perhaps the machine may have twisted just enough during shipment to cause problems so when the bolts were loose it settled into a proper attitude.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
06-30-2008, 10:31 AM
You might also check your board sensor if someone didnt already mention that. I've had that problem, cleaned the board sensor and it was fine. Also you might want to check the board with a square. And i had a problem with a piece of sugar maple that had an unoticeable warp. With hard woods like that a small warp is a big problem cause there is little if any flex when going through the machine. Just a few suggestions. Oh and try a different board which im sure you probably have.

liquidguitars
06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
As a side note, I have found if the truck is way to close to the board due to over tighting the table, my LED's will zero and that will give a clear board sensor error.
lifting/cranking up or down the table will fix it.

So to much pressure can be bad.

As a way to check pressure I lift the rubber outfeed roller to see if i have a bit of play in the spring "3/32" after setting the project board.

LG

jcorder
06-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the help. It seemed to run a couple projects last night just fine after I did not use the lever to lock it down. I did not get to work with it tonight. I will let you know what happens when I work on it again!

dench
07-03-2008, 07:49 PM
it happend to me a few times try option 7 mesaure lengt and with then press 1 it works for me gl dench

DDV
07-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I have had my machine for one week and I am yet to complete a project with any satisfaction. I know most of it is just the learning curve I have to go through so I am not totally disappointed at this point. However, now I am unable to get anything to run, each time I start a project, it goes through the process and then before it cuts, it tells me "check the board for problems". I have changed boards, put different lengths and widths in and still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

The reason's for me having the "check the board for problems" has been because the rollers were not compressed enough, the adjustable guide was to tight or the sides of the board was not square with each other. Also any of these three "operator error" will effect the quality of your project.
Darrell