PDA

View Full Version : 3rd generation machine?

alw
06-28-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm about to buy a new Carvewright and have read something about that there is a 3rd generation machine. How do you know if the one you have is the 3rd generation?

ChrisAlb
06-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi alw and welcome to the forum.

That's good question. One I'm afraid I don't know the answer to. I would speculate however that if you're buying a "new" machine and you're buying directly from LHR, you'd probably be getting the latest and greatest available.

I bought mine back in August of 07 and truthfully, I have no idea whether it's first, second or third generation or even if there is such things...lol

However, there are folks in this forum who probably do know and even a couple who are sellers of the CW so perhaps someone can elaborate more on this??

Bottom line for me is, whatever mine is, it's worked perfectly for almost a year and I have almost 300 cut hours on it now. Any issues I've had which have been minor ones, I caused mostly myself. With that said, if you get a new one, use and maintain it properly, you'll likely have the same experience.

Any issue you may come across has likely been asked & answered several times in here. So make extensive use of the "Search" feature in here and of course, if you can't find an answer, you're in luck. The folks in here are always happy to help!

Again welcome and we hope to see your works in the near future.

Digitalwoodshop
06-29-2008, 08:58 AM
What a 3rd Generation machine would have is the new Z Bundle, the round cut motor magnet, and a glued board detector circuit board.

Weather they got them made like that in China or they upgrade them before shipment is the real question. Any machine with all 3 of the fixes would now be a 3rd Generation machine after the changes.

My 3 machines have all the fixes except one needs the motor magnet, a $5.00 fix.

When buying a machine just ask what parts it has. The old versions of the parts will work just fine but are prone to future problems.

AL

hotpop
06-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I was told by one of the tech support guys that the plastic "X" drive grears were replaced with aluminum gears.

bdehoyos
06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Would there be something on the serial number to tell you the machine version?

I know that there are machines on witch the scan probe connects to the z truck and other where the probe connect else ware witch one is newer?

Jeff_Birt
06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I was told by one of the tech support guys that the plastic "X" drive grears were replaced with aluminum gears.

I found out from CW that the above mentioned gears are not being replaced with metal, they will stay plastic. As our buddy, Al a.k.a. DigitalWoodshop has reminded us, the plastic gears are there for a reason. If something goes wrong it is better to break a $5 gear than a $100 motor. etc.

Amonaug
06-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Would there be something on the serial number to tell you the machine version?

I know that there are machines on witch the scan probe connects to the z truck and other where the probe connect else ware witch one is newer?

The probes that connect to the cover are the newer version. Those that work with the Z-truck are obsolete.

Semper Fi
06-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Just talked to and ordered, from Jason Allen at Little Red Woodshop, a Generation 3 Machine for $1,699 and free shipping. Got tired of my old machine living down in Texas with Sears.

Ernie