PDA

View Full Version : Sigh...it looks like I'm down for a couple weeks.

Amonaug
06-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Got the new Z-bundle today and installed it. Made sure all the connections were right, etc but none of me sensors were getting any readings. Tried different combinations of stuff (old circut board with new motor and ribbon, and so forth) and noticed the ribbon was getting hot. Left everything and hooked up the old Z-motor and all the sensors were working again and the ribbon didn't get hot. Problem is the old Z-motor needs to be replace which is why I got the new Z-bundle.

Called LHR and explained all the above. They insisted I didn't have wires hooked up right, etc. After many tries of hooking this wire this way or that and cleaning board sensor , etc. We tried going through the sensor readings. Still got the cover open even though it was closed, no reading on the Z-axis when I moved it but for some reason this time the Y-axis was giving a reading but kept stopping (think a wire was getting giggled or something). I say it's a short in the Z-motor because of the ribbon heating up and a low high pitched hum coming from it. LHR insists it's not and due to the intermittent sensors readings it will have to be sent to them for repairs. :(

So long story short I am out of a machine for several weeks which I guess isn't too bad since I really don't have any orders. But since Murphy works in strange ways this will be the time I finally get them, just watch.

If anyone knows where I might be able to pick up a reliable cheap machine let me know. I really would like to get some projects carved for my new products. I have a US Quarters map, 2 rabbit clocks, Litho Lightbox and a tray to finish (75% done when the Z-axis stall happened).

ChrisAlb
06-27-2008, 06:09 PM
So long story short I am out of a machine for several weeks which I guess isn't too bad since I really don't have any orders. But since Murphy works in strange ways this will be the time I finally get them, just watch.

Hey Kevin,

Sorry to hear of the troubles man. But on a bright note, If Murphy brings you orders now, Just tell them you're busy and it will take awhile to fill them. NO....it's not dishonest because if you do get orders, you'll be busy in Designer making them up!!

Clouds & silver linings my friend!

Amonaug
06-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Always a bright side to everything huh? :D

ChrisAlb
06-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I certainly hope so. In my current situation, I'm Banking on it...lol

Kenm810
06-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Ya never know what might show or turn up!! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

ChrisAlb
06-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Ya never know what might show or turn up!! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

LOL...GREAT picture!! I wonder how far off mama was Grandpa?

I live by a little saying I thought of years ago...

When you're standing in the bottom of the hole, you'll never get out by looking down.

Audie
06-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey Kevin,

Sorry to hear your CW is down...
Mine should be back from LHR on Monday and I am itching to get to carving again. (Z-Pack replacement)
Hang in there!

Audie

liquidguitars
06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
I say it's a short in the Z-motor because of the ribbon heating up and a low high pitched hum coming from it.

Are you getting any errors like 246? ect..

Sounds like a short in the new pack like you say. could you ask them to send one more Z pack before sending the unit back?

BTW Having 2 units if you have a ton of work is the way to go..

LG

Digitalwoodshop
06-27-2008, 08:01 PM
I like that idea.... Send another Z pack.... and return the other one..... Let them sort it out....

And Cover switch plug, white wire toward the center for closed cover error... I DID put my plug in backwards so I know it CAN be done....

AL

Amonaug
06-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I asked them to try sending a new Z-motor and his reply was they can't keep sending parts hoping it'll be the one that fixes it so the only alternative is to send it in.

As for the errors, I didn't try carving anything, figured it wasn't worth it if I could get any of the sensors to read anything. So all I did was do the sensor checks, no error messages.

I can't even try and carve now, while getting everything back together to get it shipped something surged"?" and moved the Y/Z truck then the keypad went blank.....so add that to be fixed as well.

I really don't have the money or room for anther machine but if I can find a great deal on one I'm seriously considering it.

Ken Massingale
06-28-2008, 05:49 AM
Uh-oh!!

Reminds me of when our male Pug thought a skunk in the back yard was our female Border Collie, and went up behind it for a friendly sniff. Not a good experience for the Pug or us... :-)

rcdages
06-28-2008, 05:39 PM
The problem you are having is way I am happy I live as close as I do to their office and I take my machine down and drop it office. Even then your still with out it. It is a good thing I have been this close due to having it there four times this year. One of the problems I had is just what you are having now with yours.

Good luck.
rcdages

Amonaug
06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
For those that have returned thier machines to LHR for repair, what should I be looking for in the steps to do this? Are they going to send me an email with a RMA that I tape to the box then call UPS to pick up or what? How long does it usually take to get this RMA and so forth?

whr1900
06-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Guess I know how you feel!!
Had my machine for three weeks and I was 90% done a large job and my Z moter went and it stopped.
Took me over a week to get it sent to CW and they are hopefully done it today so I can have it by friday.
Bad part is I am getting ready to deploy with FEMA for a long term Deployment to the midwest, So I won't be able to do anything till I get Back.
whr1900

Audie
06-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Hey Kevin,

They sent me an email with a RMA form to fill out and then LHR scheduled a pick up with UPS...UPS notified me the next day that they would be picking up my machine. After you fill out the RMA, you enclose it in the box and seal the box....the RMA will have instructions on the entire process. I had my RMA via email the same day I called in the problem.....you may have to do some follow up to keep things moving. My CW is being delivered today...I can't wait!!!

Good Luck,
Audie

For those that have returned thier machines to LHR for repair, what should I be looking for in the steps to do this? Are they going to send me an email with a RMA that I tape to the box then call UPS to pick up or what? How long does it usually take to get this RMA and so forth?

Amonaug
06-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey Kevin,

They sent me an email with a RMA form to fill out and then LHR scheduled a pick up with UPS...UPS notified me the next day that they would be picking up my machine. After you fill out the RMA, you enclose it in the box and seal the box....the RMA will have instructions on the entire process. I had my RMA via email the same day I called in the problem.....you may have to do some follow up to keep things moving. My CW is being delivered today...I can't wait!!!

Good Luck,
Audie

Thanks, the call went in Friday and I've yet to recieve an e-mail. If it doesn't arrive before the end of today I'll give them a call back.

Kenm810
06-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Kevin,

At one time when I called LHR the tech I spoke to when I called in a problem, would send out an Email with instructions what to do.
The last time my machine went into LHR for some repairs, the request was turned over to a supervisor for approval,
who then sent me the Email with the RMA and instructions. It took most of working day to get it.
The little delay just turned out to be an extra step in the process.
But I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you called back to check on the progress. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Amonaug
06-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Kevin,

At one time when I called LHR the tech I spoke to when I called in a problem, would send out an Email with instructions what to do.
The last time my machine went into LHR for some repairs, the request was turned over to a supervisor for approval,
who then sent me the Email with the RMA and instructions. It took most of working day to get it.
The little delay just turned out to be an extra step in the process.
But I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you called back to check on the progress. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Yep just did, they said either by the end of today or definitely tomorrow. It's waiting to get approved.

Amonaug
07-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Well this is getting ridiculous. June 27th I called with this problem. It's now July 8th and STILL no RMA, so my machine has just been sitting here for over a week with no resolve. Just tried calling LHR and the call won't go through, phone dials fine but then just silence not even ringing.

cnsranch
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Don't they know who they're messing with?

Amonaug
07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Don't they know who they're messing with?

:D

Just getting frustrated. I have an order for a carving finally (or at least it looks like I will) and no machine to carve it with. It looks like it'll be several weeks more before I have a working machine and by then I'll probably not have a customer. :(

cnsranch
07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Is there any way you can farm out the job? I'd be happy to help, no charge other than the materials and shipping.

I know this isn't exactly "cricket" so to speak, but you guys have been such a great help to me, I'd be happy to repay any way I can.

ChrisAlb
07-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Kevin, I'm with cnsranch. I'd be happy to carve and send it as well if it will help you "keep the customer happy". (Always the bottom line)

Don't know if shipping would be more or less from here in NE PA than cnsranch but either way, you've now got two options at least...lol

Amonaug
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Is there any way you can farm out the job? I'd be happy to help, no charge other than the materials and shipping.

I know this isn't exactly "cricket" so to speak, but you guys have been such a great help to me, I'd be happy to repay any way I can.

Thanks for the offer. I purchased another machine that was posted on the forums here and am waiting for the delivery (hopefully this week some time). If it doesn't get here soon I'll definitely look into the offer. Problem is there is a purchased protected pattern in the .mpc

FINGERS
07-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Don't feel bad Amonaug I'v been down from 6/18 with the same 246 code, so far I replaced the Y-motor,Z-motor,Cut motor, now I'm wanting for a power supply and maybe this will do the trick and get me up and running. I did a lot of carving over the Winter so I still have a lot of stuff to finish and keep the craft shops full but being down is killing me with the custom sign making so far I had to turn down 6 jobs and that SUCK'S.

Amonaug
07-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Finally got the RMA, UPS is picking it up tomorrow (July 9th).

TWOATLOW8
07-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Kevin
i am about 1 hour away from fondula, im near manitowoc, if u still need to run your project u can come and see me and even run your project.
you should have my #
dave maas

Amonaug
07-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Kevin
i am about 1 hour away from fondula, im near manitowoc, if u still need to run your project u can come and see me and even run your project.
you should have my #
dave maas

Thanks for the offer, will see if the other machine comes in soon.

Amonaug
07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Well yesterday my machine finally went with UPS to Texas, so I won't see it for awhile. On a happy note the machine I bought from Kurt also arrived yesterday except I had to go to FedEx to pick it up as the driver said noone was home when he tried to deliver it. I was home when he said he was here and he didn't leave anything saying he was here considering it needed a signature. So I drove 20 miles to pick it up instead of going through the same thing today.

As for the used machine, the QC is shot, the belts have some fraying on the keypad side and the board sensor is the unsealed one and reads about 70-80, workable but I'll have to replace it sometime. Forgot to add it to the order with the QC, belts, and adapter....not going to bother LHR again with adjusting the order (already did when I ordered the belts and adapter seperately from the QC thus paying shipping twice, so they combined the orders). I'll work with this board sensor for now, it works. So in 3-5 business days I should be up and running *crosses finger*.

Which is good since I have an order to carve this

TWOATLOW8
07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Kevin
I will be goen this weekend, but if you cannot get ur running i should be home next week if needed, so the offer still stands.
Dave

Amonaug
07-15-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm up and running again! *cheers*

Finished the grape tray I was carving when the machine kicked the bucket at 75%. It came out OK, carved about 1/16" deeper where it took up where the other left off and for some odd reason left some pits. The concept works so I'll carve another one later.

I have a love/hate relationship with the 1.13 cut path. On the straight/wide curved areas where it can go at somewhat normal speed it cuts beautifully although with a lot more chatter. HOWEVER on the narrow curves and intricate parts where it slows to a crawl it burns the wood, at least in the poplar tray I was carving.

Amonaug
07-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Remind me not to buy used machines again.

The Z-truck is getting so hot that I can't even touch it. Looks like more money I have to shell out.

cnsranch
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
After Kevin's last post here, I thought I'd better keep an eye on the Z-truck temp. I've been watching the flex shaft temp, but that's all.

Had a 10 hour carve over the weekend (did it over two sessions). Flex shaft was fine, but I found that the cutting head got hot as a firecracker. Also, exhaust from the muffler was hot as well.

Was about 90 degrees in the shop.

What should the temp be? Had no messages from the machine, carve went well.

The head is sealed, right? What pm should we be doing?

Sorry, couldn't find any posts thru search here.

MikeMcCoy
07-21-2008, 12:31 PM
My shop was right at 99 degrees yesterday and both the Z truck and flex shaft (115 degrees and freshly lubed) were getting way to hot. I put a box fan directly in front of the carver and they both went back down to room temp.

Amonaug
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I think my problem is the bearings are going out on the Z-truck spindle thus the increased heat. It's also somewhat noisy, more than what I think my other machine is.

Now the next day that I carved it only got fairly warm to the touch, not burn your finger hot.

cnsranch
07-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I only got one machine.....

How hot should the head get, do you think? Granted, it was hot in the shop...but it's my feeling that it was way too hot. Exhaust also.

Would you get some kind of error reading if it got too hot?

Again, it's sealed, isn't it, so there's no maintenance, right? Hate to see it fly apart - I think I'm being paranoid - have had zero problems with the CW to date.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Its summertime and its been about 98 degrees in the shop where my machine is. So naturally its already hot before the carve starts. I do about 30 minute sessions then let the machine cool off. It gets hot quick. A fan blowing on the flexshaft helps. I dont know what to do about the z truck. Good luck.

Amonaug
07-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Got my machine back from LHR yesterday ( Fri July 25th) and here are the list of things they did to it.

1) Z Truck Spindle
2) QC (this was only a couple weeks old when I sent it)
3) Board Sensor/ Sealed (also fairly new)
4) Board Sensor Cable
5) Sand Paper Belt
6) Power supply
7) Controller
8) Cover Switch
9) FFC Cable
10) Head Termination Board
11) Bit Plate
12) Power Supply Foam (?)
13) Close Out Top Rear
14) Top Close Out
15) Hinge Pins
16) Lubricated Bit Plate

So Basically I have almost a new machine except the cut motor. I try to take care of the machine too but apparently there was a lot wrong with it. Only thing now is before I sent it the Flex Shaft barely warmed up even on long carves, not it gets fairly hot (I lubed it when I got it back).

EDIT: Think I found the reason for the heating. Just went to check on a carve and there was black oil coming out of the top hat and it wasn't from my lubing the shaft either. I coat the shaft with a spray and let it sit for 1+ hours then lightly wipe it down, never had a problem with it before. When I got it back from LHR there was sawdust stuck around the top hat, I thought it was just from moister during shipping but apparenlty there is lube in the top hat.

EDIT2: Just took the top hat off and I found a thick glob of grease! It was my understanding that you don't get grease in the bearings which is why it's bad to overlube the flex shaft. This means someone at LHR greased the bearings before shipping it, enough that it was oozing out of the top hat. I'm very disappointed in this, I'll have to call LHR Monday and probably have to have yet a new Z-truck sent.