PDA

View Full Version : Pen Box

sweliver
06-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Thought I'd post the pics and mpc of this. I personalized this for me but the finished project is for a coworker about to retire in 2 weeks. Mind you the pics are of the prototypes in the raw, just a few seconds of sanding to get the fuzz off. I wanted to see how everything lined up and carved before wasting any walnut. The wood is scrap maple drawer side from a local cabinet mfg (Omega). Not much tweaking needed except aligning the rectangles better, pockets for the magnets .01" deeper. raise the text to 40 instead of 15 (the mpc reflects these changes).

I made the board size so the proto would leave me with a "sled". I squared off the rounded corners of the sled to accept a blank that fits snuggly....very little waste of good wood.

sw

Kenm810
06-27-2008, 04:05 PM
sw,

Nice Job, it will make a beautiful project in Walnut,
if you can please post more photos of the finished Pen Box.

ChrisAlb
06-27-2008, 05:10 PM
EXCELLENT Steve!! Thanks for the MPC too. I'll be making a few of these. Hmmmmm......Pocono Pens......Masthope Markers.....Has a nice ring for the tourists.

ncamp
06-27-2008, 06:11 PM
How to you like the magnets for the latch?

sweliver
06-27-2008, 06:58 PM
personally,

I love magnets.

I aligned them so the top and bottom would align only in one direction.

It's not only a desk sign, it's a pen box, and a play thing.

Glue the magnets in, edge sand both parts in position....

sw

Kenm810
06-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Nathan,

I've used the on a few of my project and found they work fine. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
But when their loose keep them away from small children or pets,
they have been known to cause serious problems if they happen to swallow them. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

Digitalwoodshop
06-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Chris, I like the Masthope Markers..... That will sell..... Good Luck with that. There is money to be made at Masthope.

Let me know and I can make a Sublimated point of sale display board for you. I am making some like this for Quilt Raffles. A picture of the quilt to help sales.

Thanks for the .mpc and the idea.

AL

SandBuoy
06-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Nice job of the pen boxes sweliver. I have a freind that makes pens and would love a few of these cutom made for him. Where do you get those magnets from? They look to be 3/16" anf the ones Ken shows look pretty strong. thanks for sharing the design with us all.

ncamp
06-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Nice job of the pen boxes sweliver. I have a freind that makes pens and would love a few of these cutom made for him. Where do you get those magnets from? They look to be 3/16" anf the ones Ken shows look pretty strong. thanks for sharing the design with us all.

The rare earth magnets are available at Woodcraft (other places too, buy I know they have them).

MikeMcCoy
06-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks Steve - there should be a ready market for those that have access to a bunch of pen turners.

Digitalwoodshop
06-28-2008, 03:17 PM
There is a bunch of pen turners on the sawmill creek forum. That would be a good place to post some pictures.

AL

sweliver
06-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Sandboy,

I got mine at hobby lobby. The box says 1/4" dia but they mic out bigger. The drill holes in the project are just right. Leaves the magnets slightly below the surface. The holes on the proto were too shallow so once a glob of epoxy was in there the magnets sat slightly above the surface....which lets the lid rock.

btw....the carve in walnut came out superb. I have a week to get it sanded and a couple layers of tung oil on it.

sw

ChrisAlb
06-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Chris, I like the Masthope Markers..... That will sell..... Good Luck with that. There is money to be made at Masthope.
AL

Yea, now if the manager would just return my phone calls.....:rolleyes:

sweliver
06-28-2008, 03:29 PM
The pen boxes can do double duty.

While admiring the proto and pondering the numerous gift ideas I've been working on for my wife's bosses (easy fellas, I know where some of your minds just went)........

desk signs, paper weights, etc. When that "whale" comes in to sign the contract.......BAAAAAAAAAAAMMM!!!! Break open the pen box for the gilded pen.

sw

Dan-Woodman
06-28-2008, 03:47 PM
One note on useing the rare earth magnets, make sure they are installed correctly before you glue in place or they will repel instead of attract.
later Daniel

sweliver
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Tweaks include, deeper drill holes, more alignment in the elements...

May I suggest you carve your own proto first then use the cut out as a sled. For the finished piece I cut pieces the appropriate size to fit snuggly in the sled...now I don't have to waste 7" of good wood.

The gift was well recieved.

sw

LollyWood
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
SW,

Very nicely done. I'm gona try one, turn pens regularly and will be nice to match pen / box. Thanks for sharing, will post.

Schranker
07-09-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm just learning on my machine. These pen boxes are nice. I am trying to design an mpc file that would carve half a pen in a blank, which could then be turned over in a sled to carve the other half. Has anybody tried this instead of buying a lathe or is this just a bad idea? It seems that I am not too skilled at using the software.

castingman
07-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Here's one i did last year ,I did another one in maple and centerline but don't have a pic.

Michael

ncamp
07-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm just learning on my machine. These pen boxes are nice. I am trying to design an mpc file that would carve half a pen in a blank, which could then be turned over in a sled to carve the other half. Has anybody tried this instead of buying a lathe or is this just a bad idea? It seems that I am not too skilled at using the software.

I'm not to sure that would work out so well. I've turned about 50 pens so far. You have to drill out the center to get the mechanisms to install. In addition, there are brass tubes in the center that the parts fit to. It would be difficult to cut out a pen on the CW and then try to drill a hole straight though the center.

Besides, the lathe is FUN!!!:-D

Amonaug
07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Could be possible to carve 2 halves with the back being a groove carved for the mechanisms. Then glued together. Not sure how good it would turn out.

castingman
07-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Amonaug

I use a fixture to drill pen blanks , If you try to carve them maby you can carve on side then flip it to carve the other side , Then use the fixture/ clamp to drill the hole for the brass . I am making some now out of the 50000 year old wood , The wood is realy cool !

Michael

ChrisAlb
07-09-2008, 06:40 PM
It would require some sanding to get it perfectly round but, hehe...I think it CAN be done....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
That is great, what about a cut all the way through and a rail of wood on each side holding the pen in the air. Then run it through the band saw cutting the pen ends off. It will look like a shutter....

This is how ideas get shared.... My Wine Rack Fundraiser ladies now want Wine Racks with just a 6 x 6 carve region in the upper outside area. They will then do inserts into the 6 x 6 area. A Quilt piece of material attached to a thin piece of wood pressed in the 6 x 6.

Or they are all artist and some do there own ceramic tile inserts. Wedding gift's with the name or initials or a wedding picture... The possibilities are endless.

AL

castingman
07-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Chris,

That's the idea , Cut and flip.

Great job, Michael

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
If you made some FAT Pens like I like to use, you might be able to put some text on them....

AL

ChrisAlb
07-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Yep, I've put text on them too. This one was 1/2" diameter. I'm still messing with a way to get centerline on them. Raster that small just don't work at all.

RayTrek
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Hello Sweliver
Here is a carve from your first mpc files along with Roughcuts angle.
Thank you: I really enjoyed working with it and carving it, great lay out. Hopefully pick up some magnets this week and I have some walnut picked out for the next one this one is in popular. They are for my self I will let you know if they become a seller.
Cheers to you.
Chris, That is similar to a mockup I was working on Thanks for all the great stuff and Ideas your contributions are appreciated - along with some others
Good Day
Ray

castingman
07-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Ray,

That's a great looking pen box , Kudos

Michael

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Very Nice Work..... What would the Carve Machine be without this web site and guys "Willing" to share ideas....

Is it just me but I notice less "New Guys" since Sears closed the door on Sales....

AL

ChrisAlb
07-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Beautiful work Ray!

sweliver
07-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Ray, nice work!

sw