PDA

View Full Version : Uneven carving

Woodman
06-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Just got my machine back from CarveWright where I got new spindle bearings, QC, RPM sensor & who knows what all. The first thing I carved went fine except for the fact that the machine gradually dropped the depth of the carving by about an eighth to a quarter of an inch in about an inch of length along the axis of the board. The top of the machine wasn't level so I called tech support and we fixed that. Did a test carve and the level stayed OK (YEA!!) but now I've got raised lines about a 32nd of an inch or so high going from side to side across the width of the board. I plan on calling tech help again tomorrow but I thought I'd see what you guys thought about it. Thanks in advance. . . Pete

Digitalwoodshop
06-26-2008, 07:10 PM
If you don't have 3.5 inches of EXTRA wood on each end of the project board to stay under the rollers than the board can pop up only being held by one roller and cause that line.

It is called the 7 inch rule....

It's like driving with one hand.... Short boards don't work without a carrier board.

Read the Tips and Tricks section.

AL

Woodman
06-26-2008, 09:44 PM
There was about seven to eight inches of extra board on this piece. It was a piece of fake wood (mpc?) tho. The thing is, I've used this stuff before to try out a design before I committed a nice piece of hardwood and this has never happened before. This stuff is, I think, essentially glued sawdust that has been pressed and cooked. Nice and straight and uniform as it can be. Kind of a light tan color.

Woodman
06-27-2008, 05:06 PM
OK. . . after a lengthy phone call with tech help we resolved that the head pressures were too high so we took out a washer from the handle innards and that seemed to fix the problem. At least, a repeat carve of the same design on a piece of maple went very well indeed. I'm up for now I reckon!!! A big huzzah for tech help all around. . . cheers!

ChrisAlb
06-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Glad to hear you're up & running Woodman.

Sounds like you're talking about either MDF or Particle Board. In either case, get to making some dust and posting some pics!