PDA

View Full Version : Head misalignmnet

LollyWood
06-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Now I know what your gona say, I know my Operator-Head space is a bit tweeked, but it's the gizmo I'm talking about. ;)

This has happend to me twice before, and since I'm a non warranty I have had my mechine apart more times then I can tell ya. But this problem affects my basic operation (set up) for each carve.

Problem: When cranking the head up, the far side screw will skip a bit and put the head off alignment. (from the parts list p.4) #29. to fix I have to disconnect the cross ratchet #30, and realign the head w/ the off screw. then re-secure the cross ratchet #30. I have a very small dab of lithum on the 2 heads where they meet. I've looked at the 2 ends and all the teeth seem to be there. (It is a pretty weak design, the cross rachet #30 is held in place w/ a couple scews and washers.) I have a work-around, but I'm use to the click-click when the head is appling down pressure. I have to eye the roller compression and varify w/ the sensor check before proceeding.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem, short of replacing the parts #29/30?

Thanks in advance :)

ChrisAlb
06-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Sure wish I could help you on this one Bernie. But I've never had a head misalignment (on my machine) that I've had to deal with. All I can say is I have noticed from time to time the head and/or crank getting stiffer and harder to move. At that point I do a thorough cleaning and lube of the crank assembly.

Specifically, I pay close attention to the gears and moreover, the threads on the vertical rods themselves. I keep my CW pretty clean before, during and after each use but over time the dust accumulates in those threads placing added stress on the whole crank assembly.

Right now in fact, I've noticed on the side opposite the keypad, the head doesn't drop without a very slight finger pressure on it. I attribute this to either (or both) the vertical posts need lube or alignment. I've had that side cover off recently to inspect, clean and lube the X-axis drive gears and I think it may have knocked the alignment on those two posts off a bit. Guess it's time to get out the old manual and go through the alignment process for the first time.