PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

andes
06-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Ok I know this question is going to sound dumb, but I would like to ask anyway :D

I just had to replace my Flex cable. Now lets say that I didn;t quite have the core inserted all the way in the motor; what would the symptoms be? I'm pretty sure that I have it setted correctly, but just a bit unsure of myself.:oops:

Andes

bjbethke
06-23-2008, 09:08 PM
You can feel the tension of the motor when you rotate the cable.

andes
06-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Ok, then I did that and it seemed ok, but I wanted ask to be sure.

Thanks

Kenm810
06-23-2008, 09:16 PM
First you should feel some resistance where the first end engages the cut motor and you rotate the other end of the shaft with your fingers.
Then you will hear or feel the Flex-Shaft snap or click in to the Top Hat on the carving head as seat it.
Again you should feel the resistance of the cut motor when you rotate the QC chuck by hand.
Finally you can do a 0-7 sensor check on the display pad by turning the chuck and watching the number of rotation climb as you turn the chuck.
I hope some of this makes sense to you.

Cut Sensor

State – Numerical Value (0)
This sensor monitors the RPM of the cutting motor and feeds that
information back into the control logic. As a quick check, spin the spindle
by hand and check to see that the displayed numerical value changes. It
reads one count for every revolution. At low speeds it will only change
from 0 to 1 or 2.

andes
06-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Ken that is exactly what I needed to know. You sure do know your stuff :)
Not sure if I will ever be as smart as you on this machine, but sure hope to get close. :D Still have alot to learn.

By the way, this is off the subj. I wanted to add a pic to my profile, loaded one but its not showing up. Any advise?

Thanks

mtylerfl
06-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Ken that is exactly what I needed to know. You sure do know your stuff :)
Not sure if I will ever be as smart as you on this machine, but sure hope to get close. :D Still have alot to learn.

By the way, this is off the subj. I wanted to add a pic to my profile, loaded one but its not showing up. Any advise?

Thanks

Hello Andes,

To add the image (called an Avatar) click on UserCP (the user control panel) at the top left of the maroon-colored bar near the top of the webpage.

Then you can click "Edit Avatar" in the left-hand column. Be sure that "Use Custom Avatar" radio button is highlighted, otherwise your Avatar won't display. Also, be sure your image is no larger than 80x80 pixels and that the file size is 19.5 KB or less.

After you upload your image, click on "Save Changes" and you're done.

That should do it for you.

rstudley
06-24-2008, 08:43 AM
In response to Ande's earlier post:
"I just had to replace my Flex cable. Now lets say that I didn;t quite have the core inserted all the way in the motor; what would the symptoms be?"

I will be installing a replacement flexshaft today, too, and appreciate Ken810's advice about what to look for. I am looking to see if another way to tell if the connection is right is whether the shaft is heating up as you carve. Apparently if the shaft is properly lubricated and installed, then it runs cool, from what I see on the forum. If not, it self destructs and you have to replace it at your own expense, like mine.

bdehoyos
06-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok I know this question is going to sound dumb, but I would like to ask anyway :D

I just had to replace my Flex cable. Now lets say that I didn;t quite have the core inserted all the way in the motor; what would the symptoms be? I'm pretty sure that I have it setted correctly, but just a bit unsure of myself.:oops:

Andes

Btw our pediatrician used to tell us (my wife and me) “is this world there are not dumb questions, just dumb people that don’t ask questions” :mrgreen:

Kenm810
06-24-2008, 11:54 AM
rstudley,

This may or may not help, but when I first got involved with this machine. several folks were having problems with the Flex-Shaft over heating, many were traced to simple things, like not removing the black shipping tie wrap that was used to hold the flex-shaft in the wire carrier guide or have the shaft mounted with a kink at the end of the wire guide. The Flex-Shaft can and does vibrate a lot sometimes and hops out of the wire guide which may contribute to over heating. I found a loose double loop of black electricians holds the Flex-shaft in place just fine. One other thought, --- I got into the habit of checking my machines moving pasts - especially the flex-Shaft at least once of twice on carving project for any excessive heat with a hand held Inferred Thermometer -- a small investment for my own peace of mind.

bdehoyos
06-24-2008, 01:58 PM
rstudley,

This may or may not help, but when I first got involved with this machine. several folks were having problems with the Flex-Shaft over heating, many were traced to simple things, like not removing the black shipping tie wrap that was used to hold the flex-shaft in the wire carrier guide or have the shaft mounted with a kink at the end of the wire guide. The Flex-Shaft can and does vibrate a lot sometimes and hops out of the wire guide which may contribute to over heating. I found a loose double loop of black electricians holds the Flex-shaft in place just fine. One other thought, --- I got into the habit of checking my machines moving pasts - especially the flex-Shaft at least once of twice on carving project for any excessive heat with a hand held Inferred Thermometer -- a small investment for my own peace of mind.

Ken,

just a question… I did not get the part on how to hold the flexshaft on the wire guide, hold you post a picture on how you did it?

Thanks
BDH

Kenm810
06-24-2008, 02:51 PM
BDH,

Sorry this is a old photo of my Machine, but it's the only one on my home PC that shows the Black vinyl tape.
I originally took the photo to show how I ran the air line to my first air jet sweep I had mounted on the carving head.
Tape loop #1 is the loose double loop I mentioned in the earlier post that keeps the Flex-Shaft in the wire support guide,
loops #2 and #3 help guide the small air line down into the machine. Their all no tighter than a band-aid on my granddaughters finger.
If you need a better photo I'm sure I have some on my shop PC. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

bdehoyos
06-24-2008, 03:37 PM
That is a perfect picture, Thanks Ken

andes
06-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks again for the info can.

andes
06-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Ken, strange that you mentioned the guide wire, because I noted that my flex cable never stay on the wire during a carve, and just were the end of the wire meets the Sheath is were the sheath melted, and thats why I had to replace it. Now I 'm noticing that I have the same thing with the new one and I haven't even tried using the machine yet. So you think if I use the elect tape that would help?