PDA

View Full Version : questions about the CNC

rebel scum
06-23-2008, 07:48 PM
How does the carvewright stand up to the compucarve?

Can one mill other mediums other than wood like resin, acrylic and other polymers?

thanks

Mike

andes
06-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Mike,

If I am understanding your question correctly, the CarveWright and the Compucarve are exactly the same in everyway except name.

Andes

Digitalwoodshop
06-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Mike,

Yes they are the same machine, different cover. The unit is designed to cut wood. I cut 2 acrylic patterns last year with the cut path function and both times it turned the tip of the 1/8 inch bit blue as a result of the cut. Some have had luck cutting things other than wood. The Carving bit does a nice job making litho art, carved from the rear.

I have a request into LHR software to offer an option to when cutting a cut path to take only half the normal bite. I believe that would solve the problem I had. It would also open the Carve machine up to a new market of Awards and Recognition dealers and Trophy Shops. I got a piece of sticky mat that is used in the engraving industry to hold engraving plastic. With that I will make a Carrier board to hold a piece of engraving plastic and do a shape cutout letting the sticky mat hold the loose piece.

Should update that request as a cut path will cut through my mat.... It would need to be a manual cut path. There is a write up in the Tips and Tricks section on manual cut path.

Hope this answers your question. The plastic melting to the bit is a problem too with some plastic.

Good Luck,

AL

TIMCOSBY
06-24-2008, 02:56 AM
would do is make a form for the part out of wood and then use the vacuum press to do the part. making the pattern will be your hardest thing to do.

ChrisAlb
06-24-2008, 05:44 AM
However, if you need help in making patterns, there are several of us on this forum who do exactly that.

Best of luck to you!