PDA

View Full Version : One For the PROS

zman
06-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Got a question for the pros. I have been having some problems with doing a oval rout/cut path. It seems like the first pass is OK around the oval cut. But the second and third seems to shift to the right messing everything up. I thought it was because of the 7" of extra board you need to stay under rollers as the first project I did I did not allow for the 7" extra. Today I made this test project and again the oval shifted to the right. I have the metal guide loose on the side of the board. Please help.
The other problem which I am positive is my user error but need help on how to correct. I again allowed for 3 1/2” on each end of my project. I probably answered the questions wrong on the LCD when starting the compucarve. But if you notice the Finished project somehow got scaled down from what I have on the MPC file. I remember I told it to stay under rollers, I also remember that it gave me 2 measurements of the project 17/23 for example. But I can not remember what else It asked me. Did I answer a question wrong? What do I need to do to correct.

Thanks
Zman

Kenm810
06-22-2008, 12:30 PM
zman,

The slipping or stepping of the oval may be do to the project sliding on the brass roller sensor,
some masking tape on the bottom edge of your board might fix that.
As for your 7" extra board length, looking at your measurements -- you might still be to short.

Ps. That looks like some beautiful wood your using,
you might want to conceder making a Sled or Carrier board
to save some of it and not have to cut 3.5" off each end of your projects.

mtylerfl
06-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Hello Zman,

When you layout your project in the Designer software, make your FAKE board the ACTUAL length of the finished project.

You add the extra 7" to your REAL board that you put into the machine.

Your project "shrunk" because you answered "yes" to a "fit project to length" question during setup. (You got that question because your board was not long enough to keep under the rollers as far as the machine was concerned.)

Without getting into any long-winded detail (which has already been covered numerous times), just download the Dec '07 Tips & Tricks, Issue # 3 - "Handy Tips for Everyone" for a more convenient way to learn further details on the subject of board length and project setup.

You can download it either here: http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

...or here: http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

Lin
06-22-2008, 03:27 PM
zman, You said you told it to stay under rollers but almost allowed the 7" within the software itself total extra beyond the outer cutpath...To use stay under rollers when the machine ask...you have to add 7" to what ever length board you use with in the software....so if you make the vitual boaard 17.5" long...you would need to use a board that is 24.5" long to answer the question the machine ask yes to "stay under roller"...I to agree with Ken..using such nice wood...I would use a sled to not waste the nice hardwood.
Here's an example of your file sized down in lenth in the software to 17.5" so a 24.5" real board would work to "stay under rollers". I also used a draft on the text to help chipout.
Lin

Ron Baird
06-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Check your head pressure too little or too much can cause that condition.

zman
06-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks Everyone for the help. I will read and try all. It all sounds good and makes sence.

Thanks
Zman

Digitalwoodshop
06-22-2008, 05:16 PM
This mis-cut came as a surprise. I had tape on the bottom in the brass track area. Correct head tension, good belts, right guide was 1/8 of an inch away, the bottom of the board was smooth... Just could not find a cause of this....

Hopped right back on the Carve Horse and the second sign cut just fine.... I have had a hair line split in the board collect moisture and swell causing it to rub at the left guide and cause a X Stall... Cut off the split and it worked fine.

I did notice that when it was humid the X drive needed a little less pressure as it seamed to drag measuring the board from being too tight... Backed it off slightly (1/8 turn) and it sounded better.

I have cut a bunch of ovals and clock cut paths, every project I do involves a cut path...... 1 failure in 60.....

Good Luck.

A Board foot of Masking tape is always cheaper than a board foot of wood. I started using 2 strips of masking tape on the bottom of the board. When I ran out of tape the other day, I had to harvest tape from other cut boards and the 2 strips made it easy to peal off.

AL

Kenm810
06-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey AL,

Thanks to you I've learned never to start a project with out a couple of strips of masking tape
on the near and far edges of the bottom the board or the sled I'm using.
I seem to recall a quote mentioned now and then (Masking Tape is your friend...) http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gifhttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

pkunk
06-22-2008, 08:30 PM
My machine, while mostly trouble free, occasionally measures the board wrong. If I'm confidant that there is no reason for the mis-meaurement, I'll hit measure board on the keypad. If it then measures correctly, procede with the carve.