PDA

View Full Version : How much time to carve something?

Rocky
06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
First, let me say that I'm considering buying a Carvewright or Compucarve machine, but haven't been able to make the leap yet.

As for my question, I realize that the time would depend on the specific pattern (i.e., more complicated = more time). However, if someone could show me a simple and a complicated carving and let me know the time it took on the machine to carve them, then, that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rocky

Amonaug
06-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Generally the time it takes to carve depends more on size of the carving and depth of the carving. The deeper you carve the more time it takes, the bigger the carving the more time it takes. Also there are draft/normal/best settings when you upload the project to the card which also affects time.

A 6 3/4" x 5 7/8" carving .15" deep takes about 35 minutes

A 38" x 11" carving up to .7" deep takes about 7.5 hours.

These carvings used best optimization for the bit and best setting for the upload.

Rocky
06-22-2008, 04:00 PM
7.5 hours WOW!

Thanks for your response.

LittleRedWoodshop
06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
also depends on the quality settings.... you can save alot of time by decreasing the quality. Maple and other hard woods carve better and you can save time that way. Corian and acrylics can be carved on draft. an 8x10 can be carved in 35 minutes.