PDA

View Full Version : Any help?

Oliver Lande
06-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Seems I have a couple of problems that I think may be major and don't think I should carve until I get these resolved.

I got my machine back a few weeks ago (3 weeks with no carves) and immediately had a problem. Then I had to move on to a couple of other deadline jobs that had to be finished and so lost another week. Now - The the board will not measure the length when I begin a project, but will measure when I do a manual (7) and then length. I can then start the carve. I have not let one finish, because I was noticing a couple other things. So I called Hardware support who told me that they are the same operation and it was very curious why it would do that. The support guy took down all the info and said he would talk to his supervisor (who has never called). We also checked the roller pressure, that was good. But now I cannot get a "click" when I lower the head so I have no idea if the pressure is correct.

They sent me a rubber washer that they believed would fix the problem. It didn't. (another 2 weeks with no carves). Again - deadline projects so I could not carve, but was waiting for the callback so was Ok waitting for a little while.

I need to get some carving done. Any suggestions out there?

ChrisAlb
06-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Oliver,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

1) Are you getting any messages when you allow "It" to measure at the start? and does it measure the width ok by itself?

2) What "things" are you noticing that makes you stop the carve?

3) Have you had the crank handle off and if so, are you sure it was engaged properly i.e. seated all the way in when you re-installed it?

4) Does the head crank up and down ok other than no click from the clutch?

Chris

Oliver Lande
06-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for answering Chris

1) Are you getting any messages when you allow "It" to measure at the start? and does it measure the width ok by itself?

No message other than the normal "check for Board problem", I am using pine, so color is not a problem (I even taped it to make sure that was OK). I cut and planed it myself, so I know that it is flat and square. Tried another board to be sure of that one.

2) What "things" are you noticing that makes you stop the carve?

Nothing in the carve itself makes me stop, other than it was just a test carve, but I had noticed the bit plate not moving over without help (a little bike chain lube solved that), found an extra black plastic clip up at the belt that moves the z truck, z truck belt "seemed" a little loose. All these are solvable and none are major but they add up to me being leery. Noisier than It was when I first sent it to LHR - higher whine to the motor. Maybe I'm becoming gun-shy.

3) Have you had the crank handle off and if so, are you sure it was engaged properly i.e. seated all the way in when you re-installed it?

The handle was off when I sent it back, but it worked fine when I got the machine back. I will check it again though.

4) Does the head crank up and down ok other than no click from the clutch?

Head cranks up and down fine, just can't tell if I have enough pressure (or too much)without the clicking.

I have a call in to a supervisor at Hardware support, but again it will probably be a while before I hear back.

ChrisAlb
06-20-2008, 11:00 AM
"Thanks for answering Chris"

No Problem Oliver. If I hadn't, someone else surely would have.

"No message other than the normal "check for Board problem", I am using pine, so color is not a problem (I even taped it to make sure that was OK). I cut and planed it myself, so I know that it is flat and square. Tried another board to be sure of that one."

So it sounds like it measures the width ok but chokes on the length. Check to make sure the little brass wheel (X axis tracker) has it's rubber O-ring and it's not damage....i.e. no flat spots.

"Nothing in the carve itself makes me stop, other than it was just a test carve, but I had noticed the bit plate not moving over without help (a little bike chain lube solved that), found an extra black plastic clip up at the belt that moves the z truck, z truck belt "seemed" a little loose. All these are solvable and none are major but they add up to me being leery. Noisier than It was when I first sent it to LHR - higher whine to the motor. Maybe I'm becoming gun-shy."

That clip "May" have come from the wires for the cover switches. Those wires run down the back corner on the bit plate side. They sometimes interfere with the truck in the Y direction preventing it form pushing the bit plate out all the way.

"The handle was off when I sent it back, but it worked fine when I got the machine back. I will check it again though."

Hmmm...Yea I'd check it to be sure. I put mine on once but didn't have it engaged all the way in. Worked for about 3 uses and then started slipping.

"Head cranks up and down fine, just can't tell if I have enough pressure (or too much)without the clicking."

Do you have a bathroom scale? You can check the pressure with that. Should be about 75 LBS. But the no clicking sure sounds like the clutch to me. Maybe checking that handle with shed some light.

Oliver Lande
06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
So when I bought the first machine early last year I said to myself - "Self, this is perfect for you. You are a degreed engineer, Cad Operations manager, you have worked as a Cad software and hardware trouble shooter in CNC, You are a woodworker by hobby AND a degreed cabinetmaker. This should be perfect for you!

Then came the running (or NOT running) of the machine, then came a Ztruck casting failure, then comes the stuck bits and all the little tricks you pick up on the forum - as well as the excellant maintenance tips you get here.

Ten months later I am ready to toss in the towel. I give it one last shot, got your answer and contacted hardware support.

"Take off the crank hadle and put just a little lithium grease on the shaft, replace handle and run it up and down a few times."

I'm running again! At least for tonight, what will tomorrow hold?

Kenm810
06-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Oliver,
Glad to hear you’re running again.
It always seems to be the last thing you look at, or the last thing you try, that brings the machine back from the brink.
Happy to see you didn’t give up, and hope your machine will be more enjoyable and fun to work with, instead of on, in the future.

Audie
06-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Oliver,
Glad to hear you’re running again.
It always seems to be the last thing you look at, or the last thing you try, that brings the machine back from the brink.
Happy to see you didn’t give up, and hope your machine will be more enjoyable and fun to work with, instead of on, in the future.

LOL Ken! "last thing you look at or last thing you try" ummmm....if it was the first thing you looked at or tried wouldn't that also be the last thing you looked at or tried? OR...surely not....would you keep looking and trying after its fixed! Sorry, just kidding you Ken! I hear that so often...."I found my wallet in the last place I looked" yup!

Kenm810
06-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Audie,

Exactly!! I knew someone else would have figure that out by now. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gifhttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gifLOL