PDA

View Full Version : scanning sled

mark1945
06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
I have a carvewright with scanner on order.While Im waiting for it to arrive I thought Id get my scanning sled built so it would be ready.My problem or should I say question is.I live 1 block from Corpus Christi bay and the humidity is high most of the time.Will the high density boards draw moisture and puff up?Would it be better in my case to make sled out of .750 Oak plywood,or is there a better alternative? Hoping someone has had some experiance with this problem and can help me out.

Kenm810
06-19-2008, 09:28 AM
mark1945,

Welcome to the CW forum

Some folks have been using MDF -- Fiber Board to build their Sleds
and then sealed them with sanding sealer or shellac to moisture proof them.
Even prefinished Shelving stock has been used

Remember to keep the side rails a little taller then the item your scanning,
so the pressure rollers have something to ride on

mark1945
06-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks I think i will try using the mdf and sealing it with poly.

ChrisAlb
06-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Another choice is to use the white shelf board you can get at home depot. That's what I use and it's very stable. Here in NE PA the humidity levels are much like a Yo Yo so wood tends to move around a lot.

I got an 18" wide by 36" long piece. I ripped it to 14.75" and just sealed that edge. I use it for both scanning and carving.

In fact today's mission is to take some oak slabs I cut from my firewood pile with my chainsaw. Since i have no thickness planner, I'm using the CW as a planner to smooth it out.

Jeff_Birt
06-19-2008, 09:53 PM
My local Farm and Home supply carries sink cut-outs (part left over when cutting a sink hole in a counter top), for $1.99 each. I used one to make a nice scanning sled.