PDA

View Full Version : How do I outline carve a silhouette?

oldfartjoe
06-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi guys,
I'm new here and to the carvewright machine. I have been reading the forum for a long time and am unable to locate the answer to several questions. I hope I'm posting this in the right place if not could someone point me in the right direction.

I think this machine is capable of doing awesome things, and so far I am happy with the results. There seems to be a huge learning curve and that's fine but, frustrating. Until I get better at understanding all the functions I would like to continue with plain and simple.

I've been freehand router carving signs for a long time. My signs are rustic and mostly used for cabins, campers, etc. The kind you get from county fairs, nothing as elegant as what I see here. I usually put pinetrees, birch trees, oak trees, birds, nature stuff etc. on the side just outline carved and then hand painted.
How would I do that? and while I'm at it
How would I flatbottom carve a silhouette of say a sailboat or a moose?

I guess I'm asking to convert the carving machine to an engraving machine for now....lol

Thanks guys,
Joe

Amonaug
06-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Try the Tips & Tricks

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

They should answer most of your questions. And if not come back and ask.

The Oct, Nov, March & May issues should give you what you need.

Kenm810
06-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey Joe,

Welcome to the CW Forum

I slapped this one together to give you one to play around with.

oldfartjoe
06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Ken...Thank you, yes that is just what I want to do. Slapped it together huh? Easy for you..not so easy for me. Right now I trace my image (like the moose) and then cut the outline with my router and then paint. Some things are freehand like trees etc. Bought the machine mainly to be able to carve a variety of fonts. Now that I see it can be done I'm going to see if I can figure it out.
Do you start with a jpeg silhouette?

Kevin,
The tips N Tricks will come in handy. It takes me awhile to figure things out. I can read but following directions is not like actually seeing it done.

Thanks guys,
Joe

AskBud
06-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi Joe,
There are lots of tutorials, and tips, out there.
I have put lots ot links, to some of them, in my signature. Check them out as you have time.
AskBud

Kenm810
06-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey Joe,

I just finished dinner, Here's another one to look at.
Their just drawer handle silhouettes I found on Google ----.bmp, .Gif, even .Jpegs will work if you clean them up a little.
Use the Key Words for search Natures Silhouettes .

I assemble them in windows publisher and save them as a .png file to load into the CW Designer. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif Nothing Fancy!

LollyWood
06-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Hiya Joe,

Welcome to the forum. I know what ya mean, I'm more of a visual kinda guy also. But the folks on this forum are GREAT when it comes to help. Ken, and Al (Digitalwoodshop) just to name 2, have gotten me going w/ some timely and sage advice plenty of times. There's some pretty damned talented design people here too. The folks here are always willing to push ya in the right direction. And believe me, we "rookies" can use a little help now and again w/ this gizmo. hehehehe ;)

oldfartjoe
06-18-2008, 09:00 AM
It's not that I don't know what I'm doing it's more like I can't get the machine to do what I want it to do. :D

Thank you all for the help, I appreciate it. I'll check all this out as soon as I get my garden replanted (lots of rain here in Wisconsin).
Enjoy your day,
Joe

wlkjr
06-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey Joe,

I just finished dinner, Here's another one to look at.
Their just drawer handle silhouettes I found on Google ----.bmp, .Gif, even .Jpegs will work if you clean them up a little.
Use the Key Words for search Natures Silhouettes .

I assemble them in windows publisher and save them as a .png file to load into the CW Designer. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif Nothing Fancy!

Ken, on the bear and the pine trees, instead of "Welcome" you should put "Well, that answers that question".:mrgreen: