PDA

View Full Version : Carving to make a rounded piece

rhodgson@charter.net
06-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Can someone give me some advice on the best practice for carving a flt board to make it look like there is a post inset in the piece. I have seen this on one of the mantels in the customer gallery. I have only had my machine for 1 and 1/2 weeks and I am learning every day. This thing is great.

ChrisAlb
06-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Hi rhodgson and welcome!

If I understand your question, the "easiest" way to make a post is to draw a rectangle and apply a "Surface" to it. Specifically, for a vertical post, you would use the "Horizontal Dome" surface. By adjusting the depth and height you can change how round it will be.

This MPC is an example. Same rectangle but with differing depths and heights. Open it up and check it out.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Edit: The second picture is something I was playing with just last week. This is all done right inside Designer (No graphic work), using nothing but rectangles, surfaces, Arcs, Lines and bits.

DocWheeler
06-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Pretty cool Chris!

Kenny
06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Chris:

I checked my surface selection and I have only two "buttons" to select from. Where did the rest of them come from in your example?

Thank, in advance, for the information and help.

Kenny

Kenny
06-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Okay, I found them after ready some posts. But it asked if I purchased them or not. I purchased centerline, I had no idea these were available and we would have to buy them. How do I do that?

Thanks

Kenny

ChrisAlb
06-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Hi Kenny,

There must be some confusion here. The "Surfaces" and "Textures" I'm using came with Designer. There is nothing to buy that I'm aware of???

Simply right click on an item like a rectangle or circle and from the menu that appears pick either "select texture" or "select surface" and all the choices are in the dialog box that appears.

The screen shots below show the dialog for surfaces. When it first comes up you see just the "button Pinch 1 & 2". Right above that is the word "Domes" with a little + next to it. Click the + and it expands to show all the choices.

I used the Horizontal dome for vertical posts.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Kenny
06-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Chris: Thanks for the information. My guess is that they have always been there but I did not know how to look for them.

Daaaa.

Kenny

Digitalwoodshop
06-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks Chris !!! Learned something NEW again.....

AL

fyrpuppy
06-18-2008, 10:01 PM
:lol:Chris is the man

ChrisAlb
06-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks Chris !!! Learned something NEW again.....

AL

Actually Al, I've spent considerable time just playing with Designer and experimenting with it's tools. I'm often surprised to find that what I once thought I'd need to do "Graphic" work to accomplish, can be done within Designer alone. I know quite a bit about it and I know there's more to discover.

fyrpuppy, after seeing your signature, I thought I'd show you this Maltese Cross I did some time ago for our local volunteers.

fyrpuppy
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I like that a lot Chris.:-D

TIMCOSBY
06-20-2008, 11:01 PM
its free. and can make mouldings columns etc.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5726&highlight=gradient+designer

Audie
06-21-2008, 07:28 AM
TIM,
I just tried to download the gradient designer...no luck. I'll try again later today in case it is a server problem at their end. That program looks like it has some great possibilities!
Audie

ChrisAlb
06-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Hi Audie,

Tim is right. I have and use the gradient designer and it really does allow you to make some cool stuff rather easily.

I use many applications to produce patterns or different elements for carvings. My quest is to find out just how many of these "other" applications I can replace using just Designer's tools.

Using the same "Surfaces" technique as I described earlier, you can make almost anything.

The picture below shows a molding (no real thought here, just threw them on the board) that took about 2 minutes to create in just Designer.

Audie
06-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Chris,

Yeah the Gradient Designer program looks great....but....still can not download it. Something wrong with "file not present" message I get when I try to download it. Shucks.

ChrisAlb
06-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Will it not "download" or will it not "run"?

If it won't "download" it may be due to your system settings or maybe you're behind a firewall of some sort?

If it will not "Run", did you make sure you downloaded and installed the VB6 runtime files first? (bottom of the gradients download page)

mrvargas
06-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi

I am new on carving and need help. Specially need baby's designs and patters, also want to start out doing plaques. Home I am posting on the right place. Thanks on advance.