PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

SandBuoy
06-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Just bought a new computer and want to transfer all my files. Especially the ones I bought from the Depot and other places. I did a search for File tranfers, transfer, new computer (no 3 letter words allowed and some other searches with no help.

Has anyone been threw this recently and can offer up some help. I have everything saved from my old on on disk. Now all I need to do is make sure all my saved CW stuff get saved right. BTW, I am going from XP to Vista. Any help would be appreciated and I plan on setting this new machine up tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Audie
06-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Install Designer as a fresh install. LHR will have to delete your old computer's license for your new computer to obtain licensing. If you have the scanning probe and/or centerline licenses update them as well.

Now for transferring the files.

Open up "My Computer" on your original computer and then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\*******\CarveWrite and you will see a couple of large files; favorites.mpn, sample.mpn, and possibly victorian house project.mpn

(The above ******* represents the name of the folder for your My Documents)

Whatever files are there copy to a CD or USB flash drive (my three files are almost 50 MB) and transfer those files to the new computer and copy them to the CarveWright directory.

eromran
06-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Instead of having to do all the coping they make a wire that has the sofeware with it and you hook your computures together to transfer the files. Saves all the coping and reinstalling. I can't remember but it was onsale on QVC or one of the shopping network when they were selling some Dell computures but you can find similar things at bestbuy.

SandBuoy
06-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I did try copying the one CW file to my USB flash drive. I have most of my computer on that little thing, amazing. So when it started downloading almost 50 megs I held off till I read some help post.

I will see if I can find that wire for transferring. Vista is suppose to make transferring from other computers pretty simple from what I have read, Right? I will probably have to order it on line as gas is over $4.25 here and the closest BB, Circuit city ect is over 90 miles away.

Thanks for the help again. I think I might just get the machine up, get it online and tranfer the files threw networking then burn the link.

Jeff_Birt
06-15-2008, 10:20 PM
You can also copy your files from XP to Vista over a network connection. Either through your home network or a crossover cable.