PDA

View Full Version : Bit adapter screws too long

ArkiePaul
06-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Seems that after several of my bit adaptors kept getting loose in the chuck I checked to see if the set screws were the problem. The bit adapter didn't want to seat all the way into the chuck so I ground down each screw about a sixteenth of an inch. When I put it in the chuck it seated right away and no more loose bit adaptor. I have never figured out why the set screws have to stick out the side of the adaptor so far anyway. Too late today to carve so I will try again tomorrow. Anyone else had that problem?

bjbethke
06-14-2008, 04:41 PM
CW router bits have a key way cut in the shaft of the router bits for 1/4 inch bits. Your screws may not be setting in the key way.

ArkiePaul
06-14-2008, 09:40 PM
This was a brand new bit and adaptor already pre-set from CW so it had the screws set in the grooves I am sure. Besides, even the ones I have adjusted myself were screwed into the grooves. I made sure of that and they all did the same thing. The screws are just too long.

bjbethke
06-15-2008, 09:21 AM
ArkiePaul

I checked my bit adapters and this is what I found with mine. I just purchased 10 new ½ in adapters and 2 new ¼ inch adapters. None of the set screws were too long. The photo of the ¼ spiral bit is in a new adapter, I could not cut a keyway deep enough to set the screws right, but it still fits in my QC. Hope this helps you. If yours were new I would call LHR.

What part of AR do you live in?

ArkiePaul
06-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the reply and the pics. I will probably give LHR a call. I haven't had a chance to cut anything since I shortened the screws but will soon. I have had trouble with my chuck before I had the adaptor problem and replaced the chuck. I live in Benton, Arkansas. about 25 miles from Little Rock.

ArkiePaul
06-15-2008, 10:34 PM
My wife purchased me the extended warranty on my machine for Father's Day. I have been reading where some people have been having problems with Sears honoring the warranty. I hope I don't run into that. At least my first years warranty doesn't run out until December.