PDA

View Full Version : Bit Problems

Jane
06-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I had my machine in last year for repair. Today was the first time i've had it out since then. I went to start a project and about 10 minutes into it the adaptor and bit was thrown. I am positive it clicked into place at the start. I tried again, again heard the click, with the same results about 15 minutes in.
Can anyone help me?

Kenm810
06-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Jane,

Put a mirror on the traction belts, and with the aid of some extra light you will be able to see up inside of the QC Chuck.
Make sure it's not damaged or packed with dust and chips that are preventing the bit adapter from seating properly.
I've not had any problems with mine since I started checking and cleaning it daily. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Jane
06-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I checked with a mirror and nothing looked wrong with the chuck. I am afraid to try again im running out of wood :P

Kenm810
06-14-2008, 12:49 PM
After you insert the bit and adapter, and you hear the click or feel the snap of the chuck locking it in place,-- with gloves or a rag to protect you fingers -- try to wiggle the bit and adapter, if it moves side to side or comes out, then the QC Chuck is not seating and locking the adapter properly and may need to be replaced. Another thought you could try is what (Al) has mentioned a few time is a sling shot action or dry snapping the chuck several times to clear any obstruction from inside the chuck it's self. It certainly would be worth a try.

Jane
06-14-2008, 01:24 PM
yes it wiggles and after a bit will pull out without releasing the chuck. Guess Ill be making a phone call monday thanks for the help

Kenm810
06-14-2008, 01:59 PM
In the mean time put a piece of paper or something on the traction belts
and give the QC Chuck a few dry snaps to see if anything falls out, if you have a compressor,
give it a good shot of air to help dislodge any dust or chips, than lube it with something like 3 in 1 oil,
and try the bit wiggle again. If it doesn't help than the techs at LHR are your next best bet.