PDA

View Full Version : Saving a "Bit" of time.... Thanks Terry

Digitalwoodshop
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I wanted to post this here that I learned something from "Hardly", Terry in the Software post and is worth mentioning again.

Terry mentioned that in a project that calls for 3 bits like the Clocks I am cutting with the Carving, V60, and 1/8 inch cutting bit that the computer really does not care about the first set of insert bits....

Normally my start up calls for me to install the V60, then 1/8 cutting then 1/16 carving bit and upon checking that bit it starts carving. Following Terry's lead I just put in the 1/16 bit in and let it think I had installed the V60 and 1/8..... After the 1/16 carving finished it asked for the V60 and did a new set of measurements and off carving it went..... Same with the 1/8 Cut Path... no problem.

So I save myself a "Bit" of time not making the bit changes just pressing enter....

Thanks Terry....

AL

jackssib1
06-13-2008, 02:52 PM
thats what I have been doing also.
Jack

mtylerfl
06-13-2008, 02:59 PM
In my tutorials I give step-by-step lists of the prompts and appropriate bit insertions during setup, just to be sure a person doesn't foul up a project.

I'm wondering if LHR could confirm that it doesn't matter whether you put the right bits in the QC during the initial setup. Interesting concept if it's truly foolproof and won't potentially mess up some wood!

I recall someone having a problem with a project when he did not put in the proper bits during the initial setup and the problem was corrected when he re-did the project (the second time carefully following the prompts and inserting the right bits). I'm foggy on that...it may have been that he had the wrong final bit when the project ran the first time - can't remember for sure.

Maybe the initial bit prompts are for the user, not the machine...i.e., so the user knows he/she has all the bits required to run the project?? I have always thought that the initial measurements of bit depths were "memorized" by the machine, then confirmed when the bit swaps take place during the actual run of the project.

bjbethke
06-13-2008, 07:29 PM
I’m not real sure but I think the initial bit prompts are used to transfer information from the memory card to the controller unit. I think after the install setup, the CW unit is ready to carve. I used to skip all them changes and just leave the carve bit in for each check. I did that one time using the half inch round over bit, and it tried to plunge the bit down in one step. Good thing I was watching it carve!!! I now change the bits each time. It helps keep the QC cleaner also by doing that.

I purchased some half inch adapters to use my bits from my Legacy REVO Ornamental Mill; I’m not sure how large of bits I can use. I want to use them to make some molding.

They are plunge type, and if I make several passes they should work. A one horse motor should drive them, but I’m not sure about the flex shaft or the Z Truck.

See photo.