PDA

View Full Version : Estimated Time versus Actual Rout Time

cseidler
06-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Our projects consisently take about 20% longer to rout than is estimated when uploading. 100% 60degree VBits. The actual time difference is throwing production and the juggling of various projects out-of-whack.

Suggestions please. Thank you.

Kenm810
06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I have no real explanation or have I ever seen one, for the additional carving time on projects.
I've just become accustom to adding 15%, 30%, or more time to my carvings. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Dan-Woodman
06-12-2008, 08:04 PM
My quess would be the time does not include bit measureing,board measuring, changing bits etc.
later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
06-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Our projects consisently take about 20% longer to rout than is estimated when uploading. 100% 60degree VBits. The actual time difference is throwing production and the juggling of various projects out-of-whack.

Knowing this 20% extra time, you can now add this to the schedule and come up with a true number. I just got my 3rd machine, sounds like you need a 2nd.

Busy is GOOD...

Good Luck,

AL

bobi
07-01-2008, 08:12 PM

Install version 1.30, the estimated time has been cranked up.

TerryT
07-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Not just "estimated" time. The actual carve time is longer as well. I was in the middle of a long run of the same project (15 of the exact same plaque) first two sets of three took 2 hrs 32 minutes each the next set of 3 with the new software took 50% longer at 3 hours 52 minutes. I'm not sure yet, it may just be wishful thinking, but there did seem to be a slight increase in detail and a bit less fuzzies, but that could just be my imagination. In any case, at least on this project, what ever small increase in detail isn't worth the extra time is cost me. The bit travels much more slowly than before on both the Y and Z axis while carving. Of course this project is being carved on "Best" setting. Maybe using Normal mode would produce the same results as the 1.126 did on best?

ChrisAlb
07-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I've found the same thing Terry. Seems as though the "new" Normal is what 1.126 Best used to be. Did a carving of my fish plaque on Best yesterday and noticed very little difference in overall quality versus the the increased time to carve it.

The other side of the coin is...perhaps when it comes to very fine details, it will be a noticeable difference. In all fairness, the fish plaque doesn't have any really fine details.

What I'm wondering at this point is....will a setting of normal produce the same quality that best once did. When I get back from delivering my Yankee clock to my customer and after I get my machine put back together, (and assuming it will carve), I'll test that theory.

dougmsbbs
07-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Could it be the times are different depending on the wood chosen? In other words, maybe they tweeked the speed it carves by how hard the wood is?
I'm pretty sure they did this before, but maybe they improved it some...

castingman
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
How would it know what kind of wood was in it ?

Michael

ChrisAlb
07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Could it be the times are different depending on the wood chosen? In other words, maybe they tweeked the speed it carves by how hard the wood is?

I don't think so Doug. The CW has no way of knowing what wood you use. The "surfaces" in Designer are really just for your eyes (much like the board thickness). It doesn't tell the CW what wood you're using.

TerryT
07-02-2008, 01:08 PM

Watching my machine, it seems that the speed of the Y movement is based on the depth of the cut. The Y truck slows the deeper the cut and speeds up when it gets to a shallow cut.

If you carve a dome the truck will speed up as it nears the center and slow as it approaches the edges.

ChrisAlb
07-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Absolutely right Terry. In any version of Designer.