PDA

View Full Version : LocTite and bit holders - bad lot?

cdg
06-12-2008, 06:52 AM
OK, so the basic problem is that today I had a 1/8" cutter drop from the machine mid cut (not 5 minutes after getting off the phone with LHR support for a different problem). I always look at the bits before jamming them in the machine, but had seen no signs of any problems. Closer inspection of the broken bit and holder revealed that the bit dropped thanks to one of the setscrews coming loose.

Closer examination revealed that neither set screw had any thread locker material on it.

Picking up my spare cutter bit, I examined it as well, and found no thread locker on it either. I removed, cleaned and applied thread locker to it. Went to the carver bit (the last one I have since the Q/C adapter dropped my last one). The carver bit was on its way to coming loose, again, no thread locker.

I've been going through the accessory bits from LHR and have found them all to be good. My machine is a Craftsman CompuCarve.

I'm wondering:

1) Does anybody know if their adapters shipped with thread locker?

2) Should I consider calling sears or LHR about the issue? This isn't so much a question as I fully intend to hear an explanation for this. The second bit the machine destroyed and it wasn't my fault. At least this time it didn't ruin the birch stock I was cutting (normally I do work in pine but today it dropped the bit on about 40 bucks worth of birch).

In the future I plan on being much more diligent about double checking the set screws, but I feel that while this problem could have been avoided had I been more diligent, that my bits were incorrectly set into their holders. I would hope that everybody here does a quick check of their bit holders periodically, making sure to apply thread locker to the set screws.

Given my experience with LHR support, I'm optimistic that my particular issue will be solved, but I'm hoping again that this post might warn people to double check their bit adapters. :)

Kenm810
06-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Its true Machines have come through lacking proper Lubrication or Bit and Adapters without Loc-Tite securing the set screws.
There have been several threads and post in the past about folks having Bits drop out or slide up and down in the adapters, along with set screw being loose, flying out of the machine, or jamming and damaging the Quick Chuck. As you mentioned, how important it is to inspecting your machine for loose parts or screws and proper lubrication, along with the use of Blue Loc-Tite on all set screws in the bit adapters. For my own peace of mind each of my bits has its own adapter, that has Loc-Tite on the set screws and bit, which I do not plan to remove until the bit is dull, damaged or broken. Even so I do periodically check all the machines screws and parts, and each bit and adapter before loading them in to my machine. This may sound excessive and possibly not be practical for everyone, But it’s worked for my so far.

Jeff_Birt
06-12-2008, 08:33 AM
You should ALWAYS check any bits/adapters that you buy to insure that they have been properly assembled. You should also check the set screws every carving session.

MikeMcCoy
06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
You should ALWAYS check any bits/adapters that you buy to insure that they have been properly assembled. You should also check the set screws every carving session.

That's good advice for any router bit, CW or otherwise. I had a bearing come off a bit in a router table many years ago (that's an attention getter by the way) and ever since then, it's been a SOP before ANY bit goes into a machine.

cseidler
06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Been there. I resolved that issue by ensuring the set screws were tight, before starting each project. As a result, the set screws have become slightly stripped. CW states that set screws aren't available from CW, but using alternative set screws voids the machines warranty. Suggestions please?

Kenm810
06-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Quote: from Ron (rjustice)
Screws are $5 a set. If you send me an email request to the address below I will reply with pictures and a list of the items available.

or
·Sears item #00926695000
·Mfr. model #26695
Craftsman 1/4 in. QuickRout™ Bit Adaptors, 3 pc. (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00926695000P?vName=Tools&cName=Power+Tool+Accessories&sName=Router+Bits) $9.99

or
Bit Adapters Directly from Carve Wright

liquidguitars
06-12-2008, 11:12 AM
when mounting the bit to the bit adapters I glue the set screws and the bit as one. If i need to change the adapers out i use a small press to extract.

LG

cdg
06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I of course plan on being more careful in the future. I never had to deal with a quick change router before, although I understood the importance of checking your bits before throwing them in a machine. Visual inspection, the cutter looked fine when I put it in the machine. 3 minutes later and it wasn't fine anymore.

It may have been partially my fault, but it was still shoddy workmanship in the assembly of the bits.

Azbear
06-12-2008, 06:26 PM

No dought(sp?) about it. Check and double check.

I am wondering if LHR/Sears is in such a hurry to sell us this parts for the carving units, as the demand has most certainly increased, quality may be overlooked to make the delivery dates?

Hmmm...

liquidguitars
06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Most of the time when you buy carbide cutters the bits are not installed in the cutter's chuck, or assembly. I guess its only right to have to remount the OEM bit and bit adapters 2.

LG

Amonaug
06-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Most of the time when you buy carbide cutters the bits are not installed in the cutter's chuck, or assembly. I guess its only right to have to remount the OEM bit and bit adapters 2.

LG

I disagree. Assembled bits should be ready to be used out of the package. You don't buy a new car, TV, or most other items with the expectation of having to check to make sure it's assembled correctly.

cdg
06-12-2008, 08:18 PM
I disagree. Assembled bits should be ready to be used out of the package. You don't buy a new car, TV, or most other items with the expectation of having to check to make sure it's assembled correctly.

Took the words out of my mouth. Although cars sold with alloy wheels should have the lug nuts re torqued after the first few hundred miles as the lugs seat into the wheels. :)

But the other point is well taken as well - in industry you buy a tool holder, collet and carbide bit separately, as well as a special vice and a torque wrench. It's pretty obvious that you assemble it yourself. Ditto for machine tools and lathes that come packed in preservative grease and require some disassembly and reassembly before they're ready to use.

The Carvewright bits on the other hand come assembled and ostensibly ready to use out of the box. If they were concerned with quality control problems, the solution seems to be to give me the adapter with setscrews, a tiny tube of Loctite and an allan wrench with assembly instructions. Seems in the long run it may cause less bad blood with consumers and ultimately be a beneficial experience for the consumer and corporation alike.