PDA

View Full Version : Board Sensor Woes

Baron Richard
06-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Took the board sensor out to clean it (getting readings of 88-92 with a white sheet of paper on the board) and can see a little dust in the sensor pit. When I tried to clean it out with a little compressed air, it just blew the dust deeper into the pit. I read this forum trying to figure out how to get the back off to get the lens out of the way, I couldn't find any instructions on whether to slide it down in the direction the LEDs point, or if it should come straight off. So I called LHR. Their response? "They don't come apart, I suggest you get a new one." and since I am 20 hours out of warranty, that meant buy. $15 for the sensor and $12 shippping, and with only a 30 day warranty on the new part.

Any constructive criticism?

SilentBob
06-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Constructive Criticism?

Check this post, #15

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6298&highlight=board+sensor

When using the search feature be sure to use the quote marks (").

Welp, after rereading your post I see I'm just telling you what you already know. Sorry about that. I thought I had read a post about removing the lens but I haven't found it through the search yet.

I'll keep looking, but you will probably get a reply soon.

OK, this is the closest I could find. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6601&highlight=board+sensor+lens post #1.

Doesn't say which way it came off, only that it was "pryed" off.

Hope this helps some.

Baron Richard
06-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Well I decided to put the existing sensor back in while I wait a week for the new sensor to arrive, I'm now getting a reading of 102... better, but still not as good as what I've seen posted. But when I try to run a carving, I get a "Check for Board Problems" error on every piece of wood I put in the machine.

I checked the Forum and made sure the guide plate wasn't jamming the piece, No Joy... and that was the only post on this error message the search brought up.

I have tried 5 different pieces, 3 different sizes of factory milled red oak from Lowes none larger than 10"x28"x1", a piece I milled and squared myself and a sled of 6"x16"x3/4" MDF with 1/4" Birch plywood (trying to do a sign using a shallow outline, to be painted afterwards) The project it's self is 7.5"X10 and I want to scale it to the board. I've done 12 of these over the last month with the same basic template and procedure. I can do a measure of the board and it correctly and completely measures the board, but when I tell it to then run the carving, it moves the board a little, stops, the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds and then "Check for Board Problems".

When I try running the project from a fresh start it ask to stay under rollers (Yes) measures the board width, asks to scale (yes), finds the long end of the board (sometimes it stops right after it starts measuring the length) get to the length (enter to center on board length), it goes to the far end and starts to move back and that's when it stops most of the time.

Now I'm just extremely frustrated... but would appreciate any suggestions while I await the new board sensor.

BTW: ran through the sensor test, all switches are operating, and I ran the calibration test which completed fine.

Ron Baird
06-11-2008, 09:33 PM
You may have a problem with the roller switches. They could be clogged with sawdust or sticking or bad. Go into sensor checks and see if the roller switches are working. To clean them it is best to take the key pad end off. When the board moves out from under a roller the switch tells the board sensor to look for the end of the board and if the switch does not work the board will keep going out of the machine. Hope this helps.
Ron Baird