PDA

View Full Version : A self cleaning carving machine? Like some crazy hassle free dream

cdg
06-11-2008, 05:59 AM
OK so my title is a bit of attempted dry humor. Nobody expects a CNC machine that doesn't get dusty. Now of course some of the high end production machines I've worked with are certainly expensive enough to come with a pretty french maid clean up after its mess but alas, with a price tag of over $150k the last CNC machine I worked with had no such contraption.

Seriously now though, I'm not sure if LHR actually has a suggestion box, but I do have one. Last night I actually put the machine away dirty (I know, tsssk tsssk and shame shame). But if you hear me out, before using the machine the next day I whipped out my vacuum cleaner with miniature auto-detailing hose kit to clean things down, throw a little 3 in 1 oil on the Z truck and darned if the machine didn't park it's little butt way over in the corner where I couldn't get to it.

So I started a project, got the Z truck to scoot over to the bit loading position, and completed my cleaning operation.

It does seem though that perhaps there could be a small script written for the machine that would:

1) Jog the Z truck up and down and prompt for cleaning/lubrication

2) Jog left and right to allow controlled ammounts of compressed air, brushes, or a vacuum to clean in the X axis rails.

3) Jog the conveyer system so as to really clean the dust out that gets under those buggers.

Stupid idea? Maybe. I don't like to truck the machine head around by hand although I'm sure it is possible (never really tried). It would allow the guys at LHR to really look at what gets dusty though, and provide a more "user friendly" cleaning procedure.

Now when they introduce the robotic shop vac, I'm definitely trading mine in. :D

Anybody want to second the idea, modify it, or add to it, or otherwise put up any helpful information?

Gunner
06-11-2008, 07:08 AM
I suggest you refer to Tips and Tricks , January 2008 , The Care and Feeding of Your CC/CW. By the way, any maintenance of the machine should be done with the power OFF.

Kenm810
06-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Cdg,

Gunner is right it’s been posted several times that for the machines and your safety,
Any cleaning or maintenance should be done with the machine turned off.
The “Y” and “Z” Trucks can easily be moved by hand,
to a convenient or more favorable location for service and cleaning.
I admit I do like the idea of a self cleaning carving machine,
but for now I’m afraid we can only add it to our wish list.

liquidguitars
06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I like it , in a way you could make the program in Designer but just set up run a blank board and let the unit run without a bit :) BTW how about a sanding program 2

LG

cdg
06-12-2008, 06:40 AM
This is a post about a topic I felt was constructive, not a rag against LHR or against fellow members. I thought suggesting a way to better clean this machine would be a good topic, in terms of speculating what future upgrade releases may bring.

I did happen to chance upon the article on "cleaning and feeding your compu carve" not long after posting this. Interesting stuff, clued me in to a few things I was doing wrong, but also made me happy to know I was doing some things right too.

About requiring the machine to be unplugged - while I agree for safety's sake, this should be done, I must disagree at the same time. Working in industry, most CNC machines I've dealt with merely have their disconnects and never truly shut down. I don't think we cut the power even to make bit changes. Since some machines have a real risk of tearing off your arm or your head, I sincerely doubt if a procedure couldn't be written to avoid pinching your fingers. As for machine vulnerability, most controllers are pretty well immune to shock, impact, and static electricity, the 3 things inevitable factors in almost every wood industry.

I don't want to come off as a know-it-all jerk, but I couldn't see any safety concerns that couldn't be easily worked out with a few grounding straps and maybe a couple safeties built into the hypothetical cleaning subroutine itself.

Finally, dragging a bit of off topic into this thread, I had a random "close cover" error pop up on my machine today. A quick call to Marcus at LHR support there got my problem squared away with a temporary fix while they send me an upgraded Z truck system thing. The machine has broken quite a bit for less than 20 carving hours on it (new QC adapter, new cut motor, and now this), and admittedly some of the accessories are a bit expensive (still one helluva bargain compared with commercial grade equipment). I'm a bit disappointed in the machine failures, but very happy with tech support, and more than willing to press on learning the ins and outs of this machine.

I remember when they installed the CNC machine at the cabinet shop where I worked, and going to Georgia Tech with my brother to learn the ins and outs of the software (and pick up on some hardware tips too). We experienced plenty of frustrating breakdowns within probably just as few cutting hours. And cleanup is only harder when you're dealing with 16 tools, 12 linebores and a 108" long vacuum table. In fact it may have been even longer than that...