PDA

View Full Version : The Machine or Me???

Ken Massingale
06-10-2008, 07:15 AM
One of us has a strange problem, probably me, again.:D

Carving 'Nancy King' in Centerline text on 1/2" MDF for a prototype before using Extira for the real project. The MDF is 48" long by 12" wide.

I set the board length in Designer as 41" to leave 3 1/2" on each end to stay under the rollers.

I stretched the text in Designer to have each end of the text 5" from the ends of the 48" long stock. (The 3 1/2" plus another 1 1/2")

I used rollers on the infeed and outfeed sides for support. I put the stock in the machine, selected the project and measuring began.

The stock was moved through the machine and both both end edges stopped under the sensor.

The machine reported the length as 41".:confused:
and prompted if I wanted to use original size.

I removed the stock and applied blue tape to the bottom edge that rides on the brass gear.

I ran the project again with the same results, the length again was displayed as 41".
After an hour of checking the file on the card, in Designer and everything I could think of on the CC, I decided to run the project anyway. I was primarily wanting to see if the ceneterline depth was going to work with 1/2" stock.

The project carved perfectly, with the ends of the text exactly at 5" from each end edge, and the text height exactly as in Designer.

I don't understand why the CC saw 41" length and how the carve came out perfect.

Sorry for the length.
Ken

TerryT
06-10-2008, 07:35 AM
It may be different for your problem, but I had a similar experience. Put board in machine and the measurement was the same as what was in designer NOT the actual board. After about 3 times I finally realized I was having a "stupid" moment. If I remember correctly the machine reported the length as 16 / 23. I only saw the 16 which was the designer size and didn't notice the 23 which was the actual board size. The project carved perfectly and I learned to read the entire display before getting excited. As I said, your problem may be totally different.

Kenm810
06-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi Ken

It's happen to me a few times, just the way you described it.
most of the time the machine asks if I want the board cut to size, and I answer no.
A few times the machine asked if I wanted to use the original size, I ran the project and it carved find either way.
As far as I could tell the set up were the same, but I received two different questions form the machine.
I still feel I'm missing something, somewhere. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Ken Massingale
06-11-2008, 02:32 PM
If I remember correctly the machine reported the length as 16 / 23. I only saw the 16 which was the designer size and didn't notice the 23 which was the actual board size. The project carved perfectly and I learned to read the entire display before getting excited. As I said, your problem may be totally different.

Terry, mine did have 2 numbers as yours, but they were 41/41.125. I had cut the stock a bit too long. It never displayed the actual 48" length.
Thanks.

Hi Ken

It's happen to me a few times, just the way you described it.
most of the time the machine asks if I want the board cut to size, and I answer no.
A few times the machine asked if I wanted to use the original size, I ran the project and it carved find either way.
As far as I could tell the set up were the same, but I received two different questions form the machine.
I still feel I'm missing something, somewhere. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Well I feel better that I'm not alone on this. I sure would like to know what's going on.
Thanks

sdcarroll
06-12-2008, 03:34 PM
BJB, you might want to fuzz out your machine's serial number...

bjbethke
06-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks sdcarroll, I uploded the wrong image last time.

Ken M; When I received my CW back from LHR after repairs they replaced the controller. The questions the machine ask now are different then the old controller. It never gives me the total length of the board, if the board is long enough it ask if I want to center the board, then I get my carve board length number, plus a extra .02 and ask if I want to jog to change bit check position. I don’t change it and it checks the bit and starts to carve. I always press “NO”; I guess I should put in a test board and see what happens. I’m not sure if it would come back to the right place to start the carving. I’m not sure why its doing that.

The only way I can read my board length is to use “#7 check board length”

Image are the repairs they did.