PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant Power Supply

sweliver
06-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Sounds like my power supply has a loose connection on the board.

Halfway through a "dither" the CW went dead, I'm thinking GREAT - it's done. But no. Tap on the upper corner and it's back to project menu. Tap again it goes blank.

After 24 hrs at work, I come home, turn on the machine and it's at project menu. Took the bottom off and checked all connections.

I called support and they suggested all the usual and then to try another carve and they'd make a note in my file and if I had further problems call back and they'd warranty a power supply.

I could only get as far as checking width then dead, tap it's on - tap it's off.

Called LHR back and a new power supply is on it's way.

Glad I'm leaving for vacation in a couple days, I won't be sitting around tapping my foot anxious to get back to the machine.

So far, LHR support has been very responsive and easy to deal with.

sw

thomasj
06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds like the infamous "L2 COIL" breaking loose from the power supply circuit board.
I've had TWO power supplies with the same problem!!
The 'root cause' ( I can say that with 50 some years in electronics ) is one lead on the L2 coil is being cut too short during component prep. It doesn't extend through the circuit board far enough to be properly mechanically fastened. Over time, with all the vibration, it will break loose giving the symptoms you (and me ) have experienced.

LHR took care of me and i'm sure they will get you running again!!

TJ

sweliver
06-09-2008, 01:11 PM
I hope this is the last one I need to replace. I only have 60 hrs on the machine. I'm hoping to start a little business for my retirement years...even thinking of a second machine if things look good.

LHR sent me a new board sensor a while back. I can only imagine that the z-truck or flex shaft will go eventually, cut motor maybe. 20K rpms has to eventually wear somewhere.

It's a fun and creative way to spend the day.

sw

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2008, 02:11 PM
TJ,

My Failure analysis of my board showed the L2 lead to be of proper length and properly soldered. My failure was due to a slightly smaller dab of glue providing a mechanical fastener from the heavy mass of Copper Coil and the board. Vibration due to cutting will cause the mass of the copper coil to flex slightly and metal fatigue will cause the lead to fracture and break below the surface of the board. I saw this same failure to my C1 of the X Termination board, a capacitor in the Cut Motor Switching Circuit. A Open C1 caused my Cut Motor to run when it was to be OFF including in options and checking the cut motor sensor.

I expect to see a few more C1 faults as the machines age.

20 years Navy Electronics, 8 years with Sony fixing circuit boards, Play Station's, DVD's, Phones, Cameras, TiVO, and Factory Automation, Fanuc Robots, Power Supplies. I have made a few circuit boards from scratch over the years too.

AL

I didn't mean to steal your thunder but in my case it was a properly soldered wire. Note it broke below the surface in both cases... The Girl squirting the Glue on the L2 was just a little light that day.... Working in Manufacturing for Sony for 4 years I know how things like this happen.... The girl just did not get the importance of her job....

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
I hope this is the last one I need to replace. I only have 60 hrs on the machine. I'm hoping to start a little business for my retirement years...even thinking of a second machine if things look good.

LHR sent me a new board sensor a while back. I can only imagine that the z-truck or flex shaft will go eventually, cut motor maybe. 20K rpms has to eventually wear somewhere.

It's a fun and creative way to spend the day.

sw

Careful what you wish for.... Just got my 3rd machine this week.... Retired, Started a Business making tourist stuff, Busy..... YES.... Working more than 12 hours a day 7 days a week... Just need to pay for all the toys now....

Good Luck,

AL

The cut motor has quality bearings and should last 2000 plus hours... I have 700 on one and still going great... Cut Motor magnet replaced with the round one and changed brushed every 300 hours.

Flex Shaft... Keep them lubricated properly and you will be good. I lost the spring out of my 700 hour unit had to buy the whole thing.....

Z... With the news Z Bundle should be trouble free for a long time. Found dust in my Z Belt causing the bit to not touch the bit plate making a Air Carve. Watch EVERY Bit plate function, saves you a bunch of grief.... "My Z is Broken.... no.... Your Z is DIRTY..." Pay attention to that stuff and you will have a happier experience.

AL

thomasj
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
I
didn't mean to steal your thunder but in my case it was a properly soldered wire. Note it broke below the surface in both cases... The Girl squirting the Glue on the L2 was just a little light that day.... Working in Manufacturing for Sony for 4 years I know how things like this happen.... The girl just did not get the importance of her job....

I've seen that happen too! We had similar type power supplies in siren control equipment and the vibration during a full three minute siren test was so great that the choke coils would break away just as you described! We finally had to modify the board and use a zip tie to hold the coil to the board in addition to lots of 'glue'!

Thanks for the heads up on the C1 problem!! Haven't had that but now I'll know what to look for!

Actually, after ~ 70 hours, the 2 powers supplies where the ONLY problems. ALL the others were, I'm sorry to say, OPERATOR ERRORS ;-)

TJ

hobbitjb
07-07-2008, 02:35 PM
how do you replace the power supply board:

David Myers
07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
hobbitjb,

I sent you a private message on how to replace your power supply.

If you have any other questions let me know I'll be glad to help.

David