PDA

View Full Version : Board Cutting

Jossef
06-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Carved a piece today and it turned out great. Next I tried to cut the board, I kept getting a message to load the cutting bit. I had already done that but I kept getting the same message to load the cutting bit. I took the bit out and re-installed. Same thing, load the cutting bit. Any idea why I kept getting this message?

Thanks

bjbethke
06-09-2008, 01:18 AM
When I had this problem I found the bit plate was not operating correctly to set the controller when the CW asks for the bits you will use. Check to see if the bit tip’s touch the bit plate. The plate sticks sometimes and needs to be cleaned and lubed. I use dry film lube and wax. I do not use oils. Oils collect sawdust.

bjbethke
06-09-2008, 02:55 AM
WEST MARINE
Carnauba Paste Wax

Only $17.99 USD

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full.asp?page=0338&LinkBackProdId=14385

This is the type of wax I use. I use it on the bit plate, the X and Z tracks, and the 4 posts on the head adjustment + the adjusting screws, any place LHR sprayed grease. Grease also collects sawdust. I just got my machine back from LHR. They replaced lots of parts including the controller and the bit plate, and several switches. I purchased my machine from LHR in Dec. 2007, a Christmas special. I received a used CW unit. (Not what I thought I was ordering). Had a Z truck problem with only 80 hours on the motor time. They did a real great job rebuilding it. No cost to me. It took about a month, but it was worth it. It’s been working great, and I am finally getting all the extra grease removed.

I also use this wax on all my cast iron tool tables, keeps them slick and rust proofing the tables.

Jeff_Birt
06-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I use bicycle chain wax.....

Jossef
06-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Where I am putting the wax/lube? Does it go directly on the point where it pivots out. I have noticed that it is always coming out and then snaps back.

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
The silver side of the Z Truck hits the lever or flag and moves it out. Put it on that contact point. That will help. The bit flag comes out to let the computer know how long the bit is. Missing the bit flag will give you a error "Load Bit" thinking there was no bit.

It's just a friction slide at the contact point and can stop the bit flag from coming out all the way.

Get in the habit of watching the bit flag do it's thing, it will save you lumber.... Many of us including me put a piece of foam behind the bit flag and tape it in the extended position all the time. I do it on all 3 of my machines.... Just one less thing to worry about and it's 100% reliable. Unless you cut a 14.5 inch board it won't be a problem.

Good Luck,

AL

Kenm810
06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Also make sure to clean out any dust or chips
that gets packed in around the spring and pivot point.