PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I get to join the QC changing club

Amonaug
06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
After 70+ carving hours on the machine, today on a 7.5 hour carve the QC decides to go belly up. Not sure if I didn't seat it right or there was something stuck in it thius time but after 2 hours the bit was wobbling a little. Took it out and there were 4 BB marks on the collar. Put it back in and the bit was nice and tight so I decided to continue the carve so I could get it finished. No go, a couple hours later it was wobbling again and it just got worse as time went on. Now the bit is stuck in the QC.

Not to worry I had already contacted LHR to send a new QC and the tools to change it. Just thought I could get away with it until this carve was done. So wasted time and wood. Live and learn.

Do you NEED a heat gun or will a hair dryer on high do? If not then I guess I'm purchasing a heat gun too.

jerrbitt
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
I just replaced mine a few days ago and thought I'd try without applying heat.

It broke loose very easy. Suggest you try it without the heat and if it is particulary stubborn, the recommended procedure is to apply heat. Don;t over do it from what I hear.

Amonaug
06-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Just replaced it a few minutes ago. LHR was very quick in getting it to me, took only 4 days and that includes the weekend so bravo to LHR.

Tried it without adding heat and was afraid to break the square bit so applied hair dryer on high for a couple minutes and it broke free easily once I figured which way to turn the wrench :)

The tools LHR sends are $8.50 core charge, you can either keep them and they keep the $8.50 or return them and get the $8.50 back. They look like Rjustice's tools except his looks like the wrench has a longer handle, would be better for leverage.