PDA

View Full Version : Non-banded bits

Richard Fugazzi
06-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi all,
I am waiting delivery of my machine and I have a question about the use of carbide bits other than those purchased from CarveWright. I have a number of quality carbide bits and would like to know why CarveWright frowns :( on their usage?
Thanks,
Richard

MikeMcCoy
06-05-2008, 08:26 AM
I asked the same question not long ago and was told and now use my Whiteside bits (of the proper size for the adaptors) in the machine. I think the concern LHR has is it would be awfully easy to use a cheap bit that will wind up costing you a lot of time and money in the long run.

Kenm810
06-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Richard,

Welcome to the CW Forum
Although it is recommended to use CW Bits,
several folks with both the CW and CC Machines have and do use other bits
as long as they conform to the machines requirements.
There are posts you can research on this forum that mention other bits that have been used successfully.

Jeff_Birt
06-05-2008, 04:03 PM
A brief search of the forum would turn up a lot of information on using 'off-brand' bits. (Search tool is in the top red tool bar on every screen).

The machine is set up to have the correct feeds/speeds for the bits the CW reccomends/sells. You can use other similar bits, that is bits that are within the same size range as the CW bits. The bits must not have a pilot bearing and must be plungable. Most profile bits do not meet thee specifications.

Dan-Woodman
06-05-2008, 06:43 PM
I think LHR is justified in strongly recommending there bits. There are numerous" want to be woodworkers" getting these machines without any experiance at woodworking at all.
By reading the form for the past 2 1/2 years I've seen where some new owners don't even own a hand held router, so it's only natural that they wouldn't know what bits are similar to the CW bits. So if your going to use your own or some other brand of router bit,do your home work and research the info on bits. Knowing what a bit does ,and willnot do can save the machine from crashing. This is not intended to put anyone down or even say that I know everything, because I don't .
What I do is research catalogs, with descriptions of new bits that are coming out and get to know what they do. Match up this description with the bits CW has , and as long as there close you should be alright. CW also probably does this for warrenty purposes.

later Daniel

cdg
06-12-2008, 06:13 AM
It is important to have the experience of a hand router, then realize that a CNC machine is like giving that router to a person that is unable to really think for his/her self. It's a completely different game when you give bits to a machine that doesn't actually realize what's going on with its own operations.

As they go the Carvewright is the "brightest" CNC machine out there on the market in any sector, by my estimation, but is still susceptible to the same weaknesses.

Bottom line: Settle only for solid carbide bits where possible. The bits they sell for the Carvewright are good quality and not awfully priced for what they give you. I'm working on finding higher quality domestic or European bits to use in the machine but have thus far not found the time to really research it. Thought about contacting Onsrud to see if they would have some made.

If you think you're gonna save money by putting cheaper bits in the machine, think again. While cheap bits can often hold up with a skilled user and a quality handheld router, the CW machine is dumb as friggen post relatively speaking, and will have no qualms about cutting at speeds much too fast or slow for whatever cheap bits you decide to throw into the machine.

My final word though is that at the rate carbide technology is moving along, there will probably come a time where it really doesn't matter whose bits you buy. Even cheap carbide brazed bits today will far outlast the steel bits of yesteryear. I still strenuously disagree with those who claim that "they're all the same" today.

Even the CW or CC machines let you get away with some blunders, but throw a 1/4" downcutter into a Morbidelli 336 and spin it up to 22,500 RPM and see if you dare to stand next to it knowing that the bit in the machine is the absolute cheapest bit you could buy.

People can (and have) been killed in the name of saving 15 bucks. It's not worth it.