PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for contract work?

Klemster
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I have two small IPE pieces to cover some bolts in a deck I just made and though it would be cool to have them carved. I was wondering if anyone would want to do a very small contract job? The part is ~ 5" x 2 " x 3.5" not ever sure of what I would carve into it yet. Just want to see if anyone game.

Amonaug
06-04-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm always game. You can check out http://www.amonaug.com for some of my work.

www.go3d.us
06-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Me too. Please email me with your info and I'll see what I can do.
Thanks
HT

BTW, Amonaug, very nice item you have there.

ChrisAlb
06-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Count me as available too. Sounds fun.

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Good to hear that Chris!!!!!

I highly recommend Chris, I have physically seen his work and it is the BEST !!!!

Take Care Neighbor,

AL

JamesTracy95820
07-18-2008, 08:55 AM
HI FOLKS:

I too would like to contract out some work. Very simple cuts.

I'm designing a physics experiment. I would be able to supply AutoCAD drawings ahead of time. Any format you'd like. I've played with the CW software - and could accomodate you easily. I'd just need you to feed the machine.

What would the cost be, in very general terms?

I'm trying to determine if I should buy a CW machine versus just contracting out the work.

I'm favoring the idea of contracting the work out - I live in an apartment, and my guess is that my neighbors would tend to agree with me on this one. :p

This project isn't under any time constraints or anything - I'm an amateur physicist, so this would be a VERY LAID BACK type of contract.

It'll be fun!

So - what sort of prices would I expect? $50-100 or $101-500? Just curious about the general lay of the land.

I could create a demo part if that would help, no problem.

I'm VERY LAID BACK and easy to work with.

I have a philosophy: work should be a fun and enjoyable process - so you can see that working with me would be an enjoyable experience with no pressure.

So what say you, folks? Anyone up for a fun little project?

Thanks all.

Sincerely,
James Tracy
Sacramento, CA
http://www.JamesEdwardTracy.com
JamesTracy95820@gmail.com

TWOATLOW8
07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
I Would be interested, you can pm me

dave

Amonaug
07-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm always game. Price for me really depends on design time, carve, time and materials so without seeing WHAT you want carved it's hard to even give a ballpark figure.

snood56
07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Interested. PM me.

sweliver
07-18-2008, 09:50 PM
50 -100, 100 -500......

Sounds like you have the money to get your OWN machine and go to town.

sw

JamesTracy95820
07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
HI FOLKS:

Thanks for the great replies. I got more interest than I expected, which caught me a little off guard and unprepared.

What I知 going to do is create a mock-up of a sample part and will be posting it to my web site. I値l post the link here, and reply via email (some of you wrote me) as soon as I get it completed.

The sample will have full details, which I知 working out at the moment, so bear with me, and I値l try to get to this out there within the next few weeks.

I have yet to design the device I知 building, and have a lot of other research to complete first. The device is a physics experiment that will investigate the possible properties of a special kind of magnetic field, so it should be fairly interesting.

Again, thanks for your interest. There appears to be plenty of great talent out there!

Sincerely,
James Tracy
Sacramento, CA
USA
JamesTracy95820@gmail.com
http://www.JamesEdwardTracy.com/

TerryT
07-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Probably a little more complicated the the galvenometer I built for 5th grade science project, eh?

JamesTracy95820
07-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks for your question.

Actually, the device is a bit complicated, but the individual parts that'll need to be fabricated will be fairly simple. Just cuts in lexan with some holes, in a shape that the design will require.

I'll try to get something up as soon as possible. I'm working on an example part right now, but it'll probably be a while before I finish it. I have a disability that precludes me from working as much as I'd like - but I'll get there.

THANKS!

James Tracy

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Sounds like the fun stuff I worked with at the Sony Picture Tube plant.... When setting up the new picture tube for use north or south of the equator we would change the Hem hold Coil Voltage in 3 Axis. We actually ran some tubes going to Australia and had the fields reversed inside the test area. We used a variety of magnetic sensors to align the coils.

That place is now a dusty parking lot....

AL

pilot4profit
07-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I have a need to produce several patterns in compressed particle board, approximately 1" thick, 9"x 18. they are templates for an aircraft project I'm building. If no one is in Michigan, would consider someone located in northeastern/central states. Anyone interested?

cnsranch
07-22-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure you're going to get the results you want from compressed part. board. Not sure, but my guess is that the chip-out would be bad.

I could be wrong - I usually am.

pilot4profit
07-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Well I may not be using the exact correct term, in fact I'm sure I'm not, but I know it on the racks at home depot, and it has been the staple form stock for home builders for many years. I think it's IPsometing, used for counter tops and such.

Dan-Woodman
07-22-2008, 06:07 PM
MDF board makes good templetes. It probably wouldn't be good for the parts your wanting to cutout,because it is heavy,but it does good for templetes.
later Daniel

ChrisAlb
07-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Well I may not be using the exact correct term, in fact I'm sure I'm not, but I know it on the racks at home depot, and it has been the staple form stock for home builders for many years. I think it's IPsometing, used for counter tops and such.

I've done a lot of counter tops in my day and while I'm sure there's probably a technical name, we've always just called it high density particle board.

It's a much higher density than the old "Particle board" we put down over sub floors that were 1/2" plywood. Yep, I'm dating myself here but that was before 3/4" T&G sub-floor. It was used mainly under carpet areas.

Truth is, this low density stuff was used for counters also. Problem was that it absorbed moisture so well, that even the contact cement used for the Formica made the counters BOW...BIG time...lol. So they came up with the high density board. Much better.

I think it will make fine templates as long as there are no very tight corners or long thin sections left. Like I wouldn't trace a hand and expect the fingers to stay in tact (for long) after cutting it out.

randydg20
07-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I got a job making some newell posts and had the option to sub out the carving, but I had this big ideal to get a cravewright and do them myself. I got 8 carvings done and guess what? My machine broke down! the tech guy said I need a new power supply. wait a week for it to come but that did not fix it. I am gettting a z-axis stall error code 246. They said I will need to send it back in. But they have not even sent me a RMA number. I live in northeast TN and would be willing to sub out the carvings to someone. The boards are all sized and ready to go. I bought a pattern of oak leaves and the carvings I need will need to match the ones I have already done. I need to do about 18 more carvings. if anybody is interested send me an e-mail to
randygrindstaff@wildblue.net

JamesTracy95820
07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Sounds like you were knee deep. I'd have to consult my electronics engineer about what you're up to - he'd know what you were talking about.

Thanks!

...jimbo

Sounds like the fun stuff I worked with at the Sony Picture Tube plant.... When setting up the new picture tube for use north or south of the equator we would change the Hem hold Coil Voltage in 3 Axis. We actually ran some tubes going to Australia and had the fields reversed inside the test area. We used a variety of magnetic sensors to align the coils.

That place is now a dusty parking lot....

AL

joe_s
07-25-2008, 07:23 AM
I will do contract work. Have 4 Compucarves.
Leave a Private Message and I will get back to you.
joe