PDA

View Full Version : 3D etching

J_Man
06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm still looking for a way to really make great cuts from 2D images. Doing some research I came across this site:

http://www.3d-culture.de/portrait-in-3d.htm

I can't think it would be much different to make an image like this in glass than making an image to carve with the CarveWright. So how'd they probably do it?

mtylerfl
06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm still looking for a way to really make great cuts from 2D images. Doing some research I came across this site:

http://www.3d-culture.de/portrait-in-3d.htm

I can't think it would be much different to make an image like this in glass than making an image to carve with the CarveWright. So how'd they probably do it?

They used a laser.

J_Man
06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I mean the design. They show a 2D image and then the full 3D laser etching made from the picture. What type of software is that?

weezimp
06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't know what software they are using, but I do know of these:

Poser, a 3D modeling program primarily for modeling human forms. They have had a feature for a while that would take 2 or 3 photos (front, back, side) and wrap it around a model human head. The basic geometry of the head can be modified in Poser, so by working with these two features you can theoretically get a 3D model of any person. Poser is not real high end expensive, but it isn't cheap, and it is very difficult to get real good results.

A company called DAZ3D has a Poser like program called DAZ Studio which is free if you join up with them, but there are a lot of dependencies to Poser and Poser content files, so you might as well have both. Again, learning it is not trivial. DAZ also has a plugin for their program called FaceShop which purports to be able to take a single portrait photo and wrap it around a model head.

Once you got all that done to your satisfaction, most of these programs can render out a "depth map" which is an image that if saved or converted to PNG, could become a CC pattern.

So that's one path. There are certainly others, more high end involving professional level 3D modelers.

badger
06-03-2008, 10:40 PM
This is one aspect of that type of modeling. A blank 3d model of a face is made and then you can customize for certain types of models the texture. It might not look like much but when it is applied to a 3d model it comes out real nice. However textures on a 3d model dont work so well when trying to convert them to a type of format that is needed for what you would need for carving.

That type of texture is done in a totally different manner. This isnt exactly poser but is one form for 3d modeling in some of the online games out there that use 3d modeling for their characters.