PDA

View Full Version : Open Cover Message

jerrbitt
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Just finished replacing the cut motor and while I was waiting for LHR to deliver the motor my new QC arrived so I replaced that while waiting for the cut motor.

The machine seems to run well except after about three or so minutes into a carving, I get a message that the cover is open. It's not so I press enter and away it goes for another five minutes or so and then the message comes up again.

Did a search and ran through all the sensor tests as recommended and all seem to be okay. Called LHR and they had me verify that opening and closing the cover provided the proper messages which it did and in fact I could hear the switch open and close. The tech said that I have a problem with the Z Truck assembly -- a magnet he says -- and wants me to send the machine to them.

I rechecked the wires from the switch on the cover and verified that the white wire is on the left side of the plug -- away from the LCD display. Had a devil of a time getting that plugged in with my big hands but I'm fairly sure it is all the way in. Also while I was reassemblying, I noticed that the wires from the Y motor had come off the circuit board. Put that back on with the white wire on the bottom.

Before I send it back, just want to hear from others who experienced a similar problem. Can't help but think it's in the wiring but I'm only guessing.

cnsranch
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Double/triple/etc. check the micro switch on the key pad side of the machine. I had the same problem - "Close Cover". Switch would "click", meaning that the switch hadn't failed, but apparently there was dust inside the switch. Do a search "Close Cover", you'll get a lot of answers. Pulling and cleaning the switch did it for me.

BTW, I did have the message one other time (forgive me CW machine Gods), I gave the cover a good whack with the palm of my hand directly above the switch - solved the problem.

TIMCOSBY
06-03-2008, 05:17 PM
two screws under the switch and it fixed mine not a problem since.

jerrbitt
06-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Go figure -- I ran a sign that took more than an hour to carve and lo and behold, the close carve message never appeared. Thought the thing fixed itself.

Then I ran a test of some lettering that took all of five minutes and I got the close cover message twice.

Now the funny thing is I went to options and 7 to check the switch again, and it works like it should. But then while I cycled it through a couple of opens and closes, I got a "pop" noise that even caused the flex shaft to shake slightly. It won't make that noise on each open and close but I got it do it a few more times and again the flex shaft would "shudder."

What the heck is going on?

Ron Baird
06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
You will get that cut motor jerking if you open and close the cover quickly a few times. I do not think it has anything to do with your problem. I think it is caused by the motor cut off switch on the right end of the cover. Your problem is probably the cover open switch on the left end. The switch is probably loose or slightly out of ajustment or not working properly intennally. You may have a broken wire or bad plug connection from removing the cover.
Ron Baird

dougmsbbs
06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
First problem I ever had with my CW was that switch. Continuity was good, mechanical function good, still had cut motor problems. Ever time I checked it, it was okay. But in the middle of a carve the vibration would kick it off just enough to get the error.
Cheap enough that any question about it I would just replace the thing.

Digitalwoodshop
06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
It is possible to thread the Close Cover Wires down through the Z Ribbon Cable and when the head moves over the cover switch wires are caught up in the Z wires. But the Y Motion is what pulls the wires.... Keep the cover wires OUTSIDE the Z Flat Ribbon Cable.

Sounds like a unnecessary trip to LHR.... We had a saying in the Navy when troubleshooting something.... It worked great yesterday and today it's broke.... So we ask the question? What did you do? Well, I adjusted all the Power Supplies and now it won't work.... Navy Radar's we are talking about.... In your case you changed the cut motor that involves removing the top cover and the close cover switch wires. Going where Sailors have been..... I bet you did like "I" did and put the cover wire through the Z Cable..... That is how I know this..... I did it TOO.....

Good Luck,

AL

jerrbitt
06-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Appreciate the information Mr. Digital Workshop. Yes I agree -- since it was working okay before I put in the cut motor, I do believe my problem is with the switch wiring to the keyboard side switch or the wires directly above it to the Y motor. Concerning the wires to the Y motor, I called Carvewright and they said to orient the plug with the white wire on the bottom. And for the cover switch, the white wire is on the left -- away from the keyboard.
Is that correct?

I plan to take the cover off again and while I'm at it, to check the right side cover switch. For now I can't accept their explanation that the probleem is with the Z truck.

Let me know if you or anyone else are familar with the proper orientation of those two plugs. Thanks

Ron
06-04-2008, 06:52 PM
i Had the same problem ,I cut the switch out and wired it direct then it worked
ordered the new switch I think it was 5.00 if I remember right whole new wiring harness
easy to install good as new hope this helps